Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Who talks SQL out of work... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:04 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:33 AM
My wife is generally the "just make it work" kind, also, but a number of years ago she was working in a local government office and decided to create a database in Access to improve some processes which were entirely done manually. I think it had something to do with tracking volunteer applications, assignments and hours and when they were eligible for some rewards like a certificate or a t-shirt and stuff like that.

I got to teach her a bit about database structure and design and some basic SQL when we tweaked some of the queries she had created in the SQL view.

Post #1505878
Posted Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:44 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:45 PM
Sometimes at home I want to talk about something technical I did at work because I’m excited about it or simply because articulating it helps me remember or understand it a little better. Before I start talking however, I give my wife permission to either ignore me or feign polite interest. She’s off the hook and I get it out of my system.
Post #1505943
Posted Friday, October 18, 2013 6:51 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:23 PM
george sibbald (10/16/2013)
I avoid it as if I do I get asked to fix their PCs, and I know nothing about them. Trying to explain to the uninitiated that a DBA is something different is impossible.

Exactly! If they know you work in I.T. at all, they think you know everything about all technology.
Post #1506129
Posted Friday, October 18, 2013 7:40 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 5:37 AM
Sean Lange (10/17/2013)
SQLBill (10/17/2013)
My wife doesn't want to hear about it. But interestly enough, she goes on and on about her work and expects me to be interested. She really got upset one time when I said 'ok, TMI'. But she does that anytime I start talking about my work. Hmmmmmm.

This is universal from what I can tell. It certainly is the case around my house too.

I am shocked! It's not universal at all. I do a great 'interested face', and I even ask questions. I still have no idea what he does though .
Post #1506162
Posted Friday, October 18, 2013 7:52 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:28 AM
OCTom (10/18/2013)
george sibbald (10/16/2013)
I avoid it as if I do I get asked to fix their PCs, and I know nothing about them. Trying to explain to the uninitiated that a DBA is something different is impossible.

Exactly! If they know you work in I.T. at all, they think you know everything about all technology.

And I bet I'm not the only one who's getting tired of the hilarious question 'do you just tell people to switch it off and on again?

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help
Post #1506174
Posted Friday, October 18, 2013 9:43 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

For the most part I don't. I save that for work and this forum...
Post #1506237
Posted Monday, October 21, 2013 4:57 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:26 AM
My wife thinks what I do is the most boring thing in the world. But, sometimes, I still have to share with her, so, I explain all the concepts that I'm going over in ways she can understand. Funny enough, it gives me great material to work with for writing and presenting. Because, if I can explain it all to her, I can explain it to anyone. It's really useful. Makes her a little crazy, but I make sure she's prepped ahead of time.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1506921
Posted Monday, October 21, 2013 5:20 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, May 15, 2014 8:51 PM
SQLBill (10/17/2013)
My wife doesn't want to hear about it. But interestly enough, she goes on and on about her work and expects me to be interested. She really got upset one time when I said 'ok, TMI'. But she does that anytime I start talking about my work. Hmmmmmm.

-SQLBill

That's the part I never get
Post #1506923
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:02 AM
Ten Centuries

blasto_max (10/21/2013)
SQLBill (10/17/2013)

-SQLBill

That's the part I never get

+ 1. My wife's a teacher, I get to hear all about her day but the moment I mention an interesting problem I'm working on I see the lights go out.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help
Post #1506984
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse