Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Pro Active DBA Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 8:34 AM
List to do according to priority. (foremost imortant things)

1. Make sure any kind of MONITORING is in place. (If not buy it by discussing it with your manager)
2. Make sure all the databases in the environment are BACKED up. (At least full backup but should suffice the SLA)
3. At this point i would recommend you to DOCUMENT all the database servers, this is really important to understand the environment before doing any changes to it. You can refer http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2013/01/documentation-it-doesnt-suck/
Post #1504383
Posted Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:28 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:11 AM
alright mate - all the best with your new role .

also i have found this is quiet useful

http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2013/07/announcing-our-free-accidental-dba-6-month-training-plan/
Post #1507959
Posted Monday, December 02, 2013 1:31 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:15 AM
Lots of good advice here. the books section is useful on SQL Server Central. Accidental DBA is a good book to look into. There are a lot of training sites. BrentOzar.com has a 29$ course listing out a lot of the free training. I have a list here too. There are a ton of resources to work with.

#1 backups
#2 look for old documentation
#3 don't change things on a whim
#4 study, look, ask, learn.

Post #1519015
Posted Wednesday, December 04, 2013 7:01 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 3:25 PM
Wonderfully excellent advice already posted here. I'll add one more. Check out Jason Strate's Monthly DBA Checklist. It's a pretty good starting point for ensuring you have the basics in place.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1519615
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse