Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

What is your favorite "I didn't know that" moment in T-SQL? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:18 PM
I can still remember one of those Eureka moments. I was reading a post from Wayne Sheffield and he explained that in order to understand set programming in sql you need to "stop thinking about what you want to do to a row and instead think about what you want to do to a column". Not sure I got the quote exactly right but for whatever reason that flipped a switch in my brain and it all became clear.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1482563
Posted Thursday, August 8, 2013 2:09 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Koen Verbeeck (8/8/2013)
Sean Lange (8/8/2013)
Koen Verbeeck (8/8/2013)
Jeff Moden (8/8/2013)
It doesn't? I just called the article up and here's the Prologue that I "remembered" adding to the article.

Hmmm, this might be the language gap. I was being affirmative.
You say: "it doesn't get better ...", I say: "yes, it doesn't". Doesn't it work that way?

Koen the way you said it seems like it would be correct but yet again English has to be a bit strange. We would say "No, it doesn't".

English: sense it makes none.

Ed Zachary

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Post #1482564
Posted Thursday, August 8, 2013 2:13 PM

SSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 12:13 PM
Sean Lange (8/8/2013)
Koen Verbeeck (8/8/2013)
Sean Lange (8/8/2013)
Koen Verbeeck (8/8/2013)
Jeff Moden (8/8/2013)
It doesn't? I just called the article up and here's the Prologue that I "remembered" adding to the article.

You say: "it doesn't get better ...", I say: "yes, it doesn't". Doesn't it work that way?

Koen the way you said it seems like it would be correct but yet again English has to be a bit strange. We would say "No, it doesn't".

Ed Zachary

?

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1482568
Posted Thursday, August 8, 2013 2:13 PM

SSChampion

Sean Lange (8/8/2013)
I was reading a post from Wayne Sheffield and he explained that in order to understand set programming in sql you need to "stop thinking about what you want to do to a row and instead think about what you want to do to a column". Not sure I got the quote exactly right but for whatever reason that flipped a switch in my brain and it all became clear.

I think the quote is about right, as far as I remember. Really helps with the set based thinking.

Post #1482570
Posted Thursday, August 8, 2013 2:26 PM

SSChampion

Koen Verbeeck (8/8/2013)
Sean Lange (8/8/2013)
Koen Verbeeck (8/8/2013)
Sean Lange (8/8/2013)
Koen Verbeeck (8/8/2013)
Jeff Moden (8/8/2013)

Ed Zachary

?

Sorry it a reference to an off color joke. It is meant to be "exactly".

Post #1482575
Posted Thursday, August 8, 2013 2:53 PM

SSChampion

This whole English thing is the reason we American's don't know any other languages. All the others have actual rules that you follow all of the time. In English our rules are more like guidelines. We follow them most of the time, except for all the exceptions. It takes more than a lifetime to master such a complex and loose set of rules. We just don't have time to learn another language, and we would hate to realize that the other languages make far more sense than our own.

Post #1482583
Posted Thursday, August 8, 2013 2:55 PM

SSChampion

Sean Lange (8/8/2013)
This whole English thing is the reason we American's don't know any other languages. All the others have actual rules that you follow all of the time. In English our rules are more like guidelines. We follow them most of the time, except for all the exceptions. It takes more than a lifetime to master such a complex and loose set of rules. We just don't have time to learn another language, and we would hate to realize that the other languages make far more sense than our own.

Not all languages make sense. In Dutch we say some of the numbers backwards. For example, we say 62 as 'twee en zestig', which translates to 'two and sixty'.
Just to confuse the hell out of everyone trying to learn our language
And especially useful when you are dictating a phone number or house number over the phone...

Post #1482584
Posted Thursday, August 8, 2013 4:23 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:45 PM
Koen Verbeeck (8/8/2013)
Sean Lange (8/8/2013)

Not all languages make sense. In Dutch we say some of the numbers backwards. For example, we say 62 as 'twee en zestig', which translates to 'two and sixty'.
Just to confuse the hell out of everyone trying to learn our language
And especially useful when you are dictating a phone number or house number over the phone...

We used to do that here in England, with time of day - my Mother still does - "five and twenty to three" = 2:35

Oh, and I completely "got" your "Indeed it doesn't" comment - it's those crazy Americans that don't use English properly like what we do

MM

• MMGrid Addin
  • MMNose Addin

• Forum Etiquette: How to post Reporting Services problems
  • Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - by Jeff Moden
  • How to Post Performance Problems - by Gail Shaw

• Post #1482605
    Posted Thursday, August 8, 2013 9:22 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 11:28 AM
    Sean Lange (8/8/2013)
    I can still remember one of those Eureka moments. I was reading a post from Wayne Sheffield and he explained that in order to understand set programming in sql you need to "stop thinking about what you want to do to a row and instead think about what you want to do to a column". Not sure I got the quote exactly right but for whatever reason that flipped a switch in my brain and it all became clear.

I believe Mr. Sheffield was quoting me in that post. Please see my signature line.

--Jeff Moden
    "RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to post performance problems
    Post #1482629
    Posted Thursday, August 8, 2013 9:33 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 11:28 AM
    Koen Verbeeck (8/8/2013)
    Sean Lange (8/8/2013)
    Koen Verbeeck (8/8/2013)
    Jeff Moden (8/8/2013)

Must be because I obviously took it as the negative. BWAAA-HAAA!!!! No wonder people of different languages go to war over dumb things... they were saying the same thing, took it the wrong way, and decided to fight about it instead of talk about it. There are even "language gaps" right here in the U.S.A. In the mid west, if someone were to say "I have a silver colored truck", I would respond, "So do I" because I also have a silver colored truck. In Rhode Island (part of the north east or "New England" states), someone else would say "So don't I" if they also have a silver colored truck and I just don't get that.

--Jeff Moden
    "RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to post performance problems
    Post #1482630
    « Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse