Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

The Desktop Expand / Collapse
Author

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:53 AM
No laptop at work and I don't really want one either. Without one, I am free to go home without carrying a laptop and free to go to meetings without being asked to host the presentations.

The *only* time that I would like a work laptop is when I am traveling for work, but that is only once or twice a year.

I can get by without one.

Scott
Post #1473617
Posted Monday, July 15, 2013 6:45 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:58 AM
I have both desktop and laptop pcs for work. I rarely ever use the laptop outside the plant - but nice to have if I need to travel or check on something from home. I store my data on the network so that I don't have to worry about synchronizing anything. The laptop is used more frequently to present in meetings, but it did come in handy to investigate an issue over the weekend. What was originally reported as an isolated problem turned out to be plant-wide and knowing that made the difference in coming in to resolve it Saturday vs. leaving it for a Monday morning emergency.
Post #1473625
Posted Monday, July 15, 2013 6:55 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 3:40 AM
One thing I forgot to mention.. Since all the laptops are of the same manufacturer, hot desking is very easy.

Almost everyone has their own desk with pedestal drawers etc, but if you have to use another desk occasionally you can just dock the laptop and away you go.

This is really handy when collaborating on stuff as meeting rooms also have docks keyboards and mice.

DBA (Dogsbody with Bad Attitude)
Post #1473634
Posted Monday, July 15, 2013 6:59 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Saturday, April 12, 2014 5:46 AM
The company I work for issues laptops to staff as standard. They all have to have a standard company build (there is more than one build, depending on need) and all have whole-disk encryption.
I have been a laptop user since 2003. The company operates from a number of sites in the UK and even more worldwide, and the need to work from a different office to one's 'home' office often arises. In addition, the company provides good infrastructure to facilitate home working, with the security aspects that come with that being robustly addressed.

I like being able to take the laptop with me when I leave work, knowing that the next day's work may be at home or in a different office. A lot of work is done on servers that are located in datacentres, and these are normally accessed via Remote Desktop. Actually having to visit a datacentre is quite unusual, with a number of security and prior notification hurdles to overcome in order to do so.

Early laptops did not perform as well as desktops, but the difference for the most part is not significant nowadays. And if the power goes out in the office (or wherever you are), you don't lose your work as the laptop battery will keep it going until you can save it.
Post #1473635
Posted Monday, July 15, 2013 7:27 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:55 PM
I've been buying my own laptops for the past 15 years. The model I will buy is always better than what an employer will get for me. I favor Lenovo because they offer a proper docking station so I do not have to pack or unpack a lot of stuff daily. I found that having a desktop and a laptop was too much of a hassle to keep in sync. I've used batch files in the past to sync things but I just don't care to do it. I use Bit Locker but that is really to protect my personal info in case the machine is stolen. I rarely copy production data to my machine and when I do it tends to be just for a test and then removed. If it isn't removed it stays on the multiple drives I have connected to a eSATA card and the drive in the dock bay so it doesn't leave the building (secure building).

Cheers
Post #1473643
Posted Monday, July 15, 2013 7:43 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
I have a beefy desktop sitting under a rarely used desk, and I VPN into that from a laptop. Thanks to VPN, the laptop is a cheap $350 model and there is no corporate data stored on it.
For a large corporation or government agency, I think the best infrastructure would be to have a massive virtual desktop farm (inhouse or on a hosted cloud) from which employees connect using laptops via VPN. When hiring a new employee or contractor, you just spin up a new VM using an image reconfigured based on their role. It's a lot easier to keep VMs backed up, and if your VM gets hosed after applying a service pack, then just re-image from backup.

"Winter Is Coming" - April 6, 2014
Post #1473651
Posted Monday, July 15, 2013 7:48 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, March 06, 2014 7:02 PM
I use a work laptop, hate that I have to carry it around but it does make it easier to move around and i find it, it does come in handy in meetings. Especially ones that I should not even be in, than that 1-2 hours actually becomes productive (blame the people setting up meetings and inviting everyone they can)

Having said that I do miss a desktop and the ability to VPN/RDP into it from home or anywhere else.
I also did setup SQL on my personal PC for playing around with new technology and making sure I stay on top of new stuff. One of these days I think I will finally setup a server to do this fun stuff at home and do a mix of that and Azure (love that MSDN credit :D ) for exploring new stuff since i pretty much will be scaling down to a laptop as the next PC upgrade when Broadwell or even Skylake come out.

Post #1473654
Posted Monday, July 15, 2013 8:00 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, April 06, 2014 8:57 PM
Used to use Remote Desktop but moved to citrix's Xen Desktop with desktop hardware in the datacenter. That gives our desktop fully redundant power, A/C, network connectivity, etc and it's always available / accessible with full device access (think USB over IP). They even have a software client for ipads. It's cool technology, but the cost / benefit may be questionable. There is a virtualization benefit at the server, but we ended up dedicating resources since we're all very active information users and virtualization induced an unacceptable overhead for desktop experience.
Post #1473662
Posted Monday, July 15, 2013 8:24 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:47 AM
Scott Arendt (7/15/2013)
No laptop at work and I don't really want one either. Without one, I am free to go home without carrying a laptop and free to go to meetings without being asked to host the presentations.

The *only* time that I would like a work laptop is when I am traveling for work, but that is only once or twice a year.

I can get by without one.

Scott

I agree 100%. We use Citrix so I can get to SSMS or other software from my home PC or remote my PC at work.
Post #1473681
Posted Monday, July 15, 2013 8:52 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:35 AM
Wasn't this problem solved by docking stations? Take the computer with you when you want, leave it plugged into the desk when you don't? Seems like there isn't a need for this type of machine.

I don't want an employer provided machine. It's one more thing of theirs I need to take care of. Never mind that some employers go bonkers when you use a "work" machine for non work purposes.

Combine this with the fact that most work machines are simply ancient, and loaded with all sorts of crap then I have even less desire to use theirs.

Just give me a copy of the VPN software and ill take care of myself.
Post #1473698
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse