Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

MCSA 70-461 Question Expand / Collapse
Author

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, August 17, 2015 5:15 AM
Which clause of the MERGE statement isn’t standard?
a. The WHEN MATCHED clause
B. The WHEN NOT MATCHED clause
c. The WHEN NOT MATCHED BY SOURCE clause
D. All MERGE clauses are standard

As per Training kit book its C..but i go for D

Just to be sure its C or D?

Pramod
SQL Server DBA | MCSE SQL Server 2012/2014

in.linkedin.com/in/pramodsingla/
http://pramodsingla.wordpress.com/
Post #1470811
Posted Friday, July 5, 2013 8:07 PM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

One of the Geek sent me message specifying the answer as C

but how do you differenciate between standard and non standard clause?

I don't see such distinguishment in BOL...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb510625.aspx

Pramod

Post #1470892
Posted Saturday, July 6, 2013 3:38 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:05 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merge_%28SQL%29

"Microsoft SQL extends with supporting guards and also with supporting Left Join via WHEN NOT MATCHED BY SOURCE clauses."
Post #1470906
Posted Saturday, July 6, 2013 8:40 PM

Right there with Babe

Thanks i got what writer meant to say..

Thanks a lot

Pramod

Post #1470959
Posted Friday, May 8, 2015 5:04 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:47 PM
Correct answer is "C", not "D".

Clauses, WHEN MATCHED and WHEN NOT MATCHED are the standards as per ANSI.

Microsoft extended these to WHEN NOT MATCHED BY SOURCE to make things more simpler for supporting some complex logic. But this clause does not involve Source tables and its columns. You can only use Target table columns here.

~manoj | LinkedIn | Facebook
Blog: sqlwithmanoj.com
Post #1683844
Posted Friday, May 8, 2015 3:24 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 3:56 PM
Who comes up with such ridiculous, useless qs? And why on earth would a dba want to waste value time and brain space memorizing such trivialities??

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP('07, '08, '09)

"If in the future, you should cry a tear, cry one for them [the murder victims]. If in the future, you should say a prayer, say one for them. And if in the future, you should light a candle, light one for them." James Blackburn, in closing argument in the "Fatal Vision" murders trial
Post #1684106
Posted Saturday, May 9, 2015 9:51 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:51 PM
ScottPletcher (5/8/2015)
Who comes up with such ridiculous, useless qs? And why on earth would a dba want to waste value time and brain space memorizing such trivialities??

Heh.... exactly why I've never tried to get certified. Too much trivia that's available in BOL and not enough technique.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1684189
Posted Wednesday, May 13, 2015 1:58 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Today @ 12:19 PM
Jeff Moden (5/9/2015)
ScottPletcher (5/8/2015)

Heh.... exactly why I've never tried to get certified. Too much trivia that's available in BOL and not enough technique.

Thank you A LOT for this.

A week or so ago was having a conversation with a co-worker who is knocking himself silly trying to amass certs. He believes this will achieve his goal of "as much money as possible." I suppose it could but there are no guarantees. He could be simply wasting his leisure time on a pursuit that will never pay off.

I quit chasing certs back at VB 4 and haven't had any problems being recruited, finding jobs I like, increasing pay scale as I go. I think it's more about what you can DO than how many tests you can pass. No one has cared about my lack of "credentials" and I'm glad I didn't waste my time.

It just feels good to "hear it" from a respected member of this board.

Post #1685247
Posted Wednesday, May 13, 2015 2:31 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 3:56 PM
herladygeekedness (5/13/2015)
Jeff Moden (5/9/2015)
ScottPletcher (5/8/2015)

Thank you A LOT for this.

A week or so ago was having a conversation with a co-worker who is knocking himself silly trying to amass certs. He believes this will achieve his goal of "as much money as possible." I suppose it could but there are no guarantees. He could be simply wasting his leisure time on a pursuit that will never pay off.

I quit chasing certs back at VB 4 and haven't had any problems being recruited, finding jobs I like, increasing pay scale as I go. I think it's more about what you can DO than how many tests you can pass. No one has cared about my lack of "credentials" and I'm glad I didn't waste my time.

It just feels good to "hear it" from a respected member of this board.

Good to get your feedback too. I've had DBA candidates that keep talking only about their certs; I tend to never hire them. I'd rather they focused on learning and skills rather than certs. Particularly with the obscure one-liner oddities in BOL that certs seem to focus so much on.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP('07, '08, '09)

"If in the future, you should cry a tear, cry one for them [the murder victims]. If in the future, you should say a prayer, say one for them. And if in the future, you should light a candle, light one for them." James Blackburn, in closing argument in the "Fatal Vision" murders trial
Post #1685261
Posted Wednesday, May 13, 2015 4:20 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 2:00 PM
Only two reasons I would get the certs right now. One, if my employer came to me and said it was a requirement for my job. Two, validation of my skills and knowledge. Number one hasn't happened and I don't seem to have the time to accomplish number two. Guess it isn't a priority at this time.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1685291
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse