Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Placing a Development Database on the same SQL Server instance as the Production database Expand / Collapse
Author
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:50 PM
George Hepworth (6/21/2013)
The problem turns out to be finding the developer version for 2008 R2. Gee MS likes to be obscure.

It is not easy to find, but Google is your friend:

http://www.nextag.com/Microsoft-SQL-Server-2008-739594965/prices-html
Post #1466356
Posted Monday, June 24, 2013 8:20 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 8:53 PM
Thanks for all the good advice.

I was able, finally, to get the client's IT to install SS 2008 R2 Express, but then I had to argue for two days to get him to uninstall the "Katmai" version of SSMS and replace it will SSMS 2008, which isn't perfect, but is functional.

Post #1466767
Posted Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:48 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 4:14 AM
As others have said, running mixing non-Production and Production on the same server is a bad idea.

One of the main issues is Governance. It is established good practice to separate Production and non-Production to separate environments, so much so that any mixing of environments is seen as bad governance by almost everyone with the skills to work out what you have done or gets to hear about it. With the trivial per-instance cost today of running a separate virtualised non-Production environment, no-one can justify mixing non-Production and Production on the same server instance.

If your customers get to hear you are doing this, you will suffer reputational damage. Period. Potential customers will walk rather than sign with people that take governance this lightly. If you are under statutory regulation than do not expect the regulators to treat this lightly.

The next issue is stability and performance of your Production environment. This will suffer if you mix non-Production and Production on the same instance. If you ever get a Production outage that is caused by a non-Production system do not expect your senior management to treat this lightly. If this affects your stock market price do not expect yuor shareholders to treat this as competant management of their resources.

Part of choosing your own software vendors is to pick one who make either no or a nominal charge for non-Production environments. Vendors understand the need for good governance, and typically will prefer that you protect the Production environment rather than risk bad publicity because you can blame tham that your Production failure was mandated by their licensing policies. If you are talking with a vendor that insists on charging the same for non-Production as Production, this should be your turn to walk and find someone else.

You may want to look at http://sqlserverfinebuild.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=SQL%20Server%20Administration for more details.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 28 July 2014: now over 30,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #1467152
Posted Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:35 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:11 PM

I was able, finally, to get the client's IT to install SS 2008 R2 Express,

SQL Server 2008 R2 Express is NOT the same thing as SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer. It is with Express that your client will run into the 180 licensing limitation unless they purchase a fully licensed copy.

Chris Powell

George: You're kidding.
Elroy: Nope.
George: Then lie to me and say you're kidding.
Post #1467197
Posted Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:44 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Yes, I know that SQL Express and SQL Developer edition are different. No, SQL Express is not time limited. The version I keep on my own Development machine has been around for a couple of years now.
Post #1467206
Posted Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:48 AM
SSC Veteran

Thanks, Ed. I appreciate the additional thoughts.
Post #1467210
Posted Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:48 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:11 PM
Meet George Jetson (6/25/2013)
It is with Express that your client will run into the 180 licensing limitation unless they purchase a fully licensed copy.

Express is not time limited, Evaluation is time limited. Express is free and you accept some limitations but one of those limitations is not time.

CEWII
Post #1467211
Posted Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:55 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 10:05 AM
Meet George Jetson (6/25/2013)

I was able, finally, to get the client's IT to install SS 2008 R2 Express,

SQL Server 2008 R2 Express is NOT the same thing as SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer. It is with Express that your client will run into the 180 licensing limitation unless they purchase a fully licensed copy.

Express is not time-limited. It's size-limited. Max 10GB per database, restricted to a single CPU core and 1GB of memory and with many, many unavailable features.
Personally I wouldn't consider developing on Express if production is Enterprise or over 10GB in size, too many things won't be available, it'll also be near-impossible to do sensible performance testing.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1467372
Posted Tuesday, June 25, 2013 2:30 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:11 PM
GilaMonster (6/25/2013)
Express is not time-limited. It's size-limited. Max 10GB per database, restricted to a single CPU core and 1GB of memory and with many, many unavailable features.
Personally I wouldn't consider developing on Express if production is Enterprise or over 10GB in size, too many things won't be available, it'll also be near-impossible to do sensible performance testing.

+1

CEWII
Post #1467383
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse