Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Placing a Development Database on the same SQL Server instance as the Production database Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:32 PM
In discussions with a client, the option of placing a development copy of the database on the same server which will later be used for the production database. This is not the first choice, but does merit consideration as an option, I think. The reason for doing so would be to avoid the cost of a second license for SS on a development server.

However, before we consider that, we'd like to know what the potential dangers might be. One that was raised is that somehow a failure in the app using the development database could cause it to corrupt and, in turn, cause the server itself to crash, removing the server from service for the organization.

My questions are
A) how realistic is it to be afraid that a total corruption in one database (the dev version) would cause the loss of service in all other databases on that same server?

B) are there other reasons to avoid putting dev and production databases on the same server?

DOn't be afraid to tell me this is a bad idea if it is. I am just trying to consider all options on the table.

Thanks.

George
Post #1466274
Posted Friday, June 21, 2013 10:09 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

I just thought of a second, more likely problem. An error in the development database could cause consumption of resources that would impact other databases. Also, there's the danger of the developer connecting to production instead of development and really hosing things up.

So, this does sound like a bad idea, but I'd still like to hear thoughts on the possibility of taking the whole server offline, as suggested, if something goes wrong in the development database.
Post #1466291
Posted Friday, June 21, 2013 10:15 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 3:21 PM
There are so many reasons this is a bad and so few reasons it is a good idea. Usually devs will have elevated privileges to the dev server that are not available to them in production. The resources being consumed on dev will have an impact on production, etc etc etc...

Get a copy of sql express installed somewhere else as your dev instance. Unless you need all the feature of enterprise on your dev system it should be adequate in most situations.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1466294
Posted Friday, June 21, 2013 10:45 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 2:20 PM
SQL Server Developer Edition is only $50.00, so that SQL Server license cost is fairly small.

Post #1466308
Posted Friday, June 21, 2013 10:48 AM
SSC Veteran

The client told me that the Dev Edition was limited to a 180 evaluation period. Was he wrong about that?
Post #1466309
Posted Friday, June 21, 2013 10:49 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:11 PM
I'm gonna pile on.

This is a bad idea, there is so much that can go wrong that endangers your production environment that it simply isn't worth the risk.

You could build another instance perhaps but that would be very dependent on the amount of memory and processors, at least in this case you could better control your risks.

With all that said if they demand you do it I'd write up something specifying the dangers and make them sign off on it explicitly so later WHEN something happens they can't claim "we didn't know". Its not much but its something..

CEWII
Post #1466311
Posted Friday, June 21, 2013 10:53 AM
SSC Veteran

Forget I asked.

I am looking into actual limitation of the Developers edition to verify the 180-day limitation objection.
Post #1466314
Posted Friday, June 21, 2013 10:57 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Dev edition is Enterprise Edition with a license that basically say you can't use it in production. It does not have a time limit. If you install a copy with an evaluation license it will expire. You pay for Developer Edition, its cheap like $50, you could install it as an eval and you would have 180 days but at that price point WHY?

CEWII
Post #1466316
Posted Friday, June 21, 2013 11:39 AM
SSC Veteran

The problem turns out to be finding the developer version for 2008 R2. Gee MS likes to be obscure.
Post #1466326
Posted Friday, June 21, 2013 12:22 PM

SSCertifiable

Google: purchase sql server 2012 developer edition

You should have at least 5 places to buy from. Keep in mind that you won't be able to buy SQL 2005 developer but you might be able to use the license for 2012 developer for 2005 developer.. I only point that out because of the fact you posted this in the SQL 2005 section.

CEWII
Post #1466337
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse