Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Inconsistency Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 8:37 AM
IMHO (3/15/2013)
I used to think people who had two monitors were just being ostentatious...now that I have two I want three.
I used to think Windows 7 was worse than XP...now I actually like it.
I used to think Facebook was a complete waste of time..still do. (Wish I'd have thought of it though.)

Same for all except Windows 7 - I realised you need bedding in time with 3.1->95 switch.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1431555
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 8:14 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 8:05 AM
David.Poole (3/15/2013)
I've changed my mind about the existence of superiority of one technology vs another.

If you look at the comments following a ZDNet article there is rabid hatred of Microsoft expressed on the Linux articles.

When I started in computing it was Atari 800 Vs Apple II, then Commodore Vs Sinclair and so on right through to iOS vs Android and Linux vs Windows. As if any of it matters or is relevant. It certainly isn't worth the venom and bile expended on posts.

Here is a tool to do a job. It is 1 million times better than you need to do the job. Here is another tool. Someone opines that it is 1 million times better than the one you have. Whether they are right or wrong I still have a surfeit of tool.

And if you spend much time at all reading those silly Apple v. Microsoft, iOS v. Android, etc. forums, you quickly become aware of the surfeit of tools out there!

Jason Wolfkill
Blog: SQLSouth
Twitter: @SQLSouth
Post #1431558
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 8:49 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, April 19, 2013 8:44 AM
I appreciate process more. I used to hate it. I started out developing at a very large insurance company years ago. So many obstacles to get things done. Then I spent a number of years on the opposite end of the spectrum and have marveled at how little of it there seems to be outside of the financial sector. It's a tough balance for any IT shop, but I definitely see the value in it now if it's balanced right. I've always liked the definition of an information system as: people, processes, and technology (and in that order). I see a lot of "technology will solve all our problems" attitudes in big and small shops (mostly small), but without good people and processes (DR,Change Management,Security protocols,etc.) you won't get anywhere near your true potential organizationally.
Post #1431572
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 9:22 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, July 14, 2014 10:08 AM
I have watched the Star Trek series that have come out over the years for as long as I can remember, and I always thought that there is no way that the Starfleet Database could be populated with all that data about every person that you would want to look up data on. And today, with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and any other social media, along with data that companies, government and just video feeds capture, we actually could be at a point where you can search for information about an individual, and find out their hobbies, where their favorite restaurant is, or what contributions they have made to their field of work, or society in general are. We are all in one way or another posting our history out in the cloud for the generations to come, whether we want to or not.
Post #1431588
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 9:44 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 10:04 AM
I use to believe that it was not safe to purchase anything online and vowed to never, and I mean never risk that type of financial activity. Now both my wife and I buy what we need without a second thought.

I use to believe that 360 Assembler was a God given gift and that it was the end all language. Later I thought that PL/1 and the ability to manipulate anything in the machine at any time, for any reason was the way it had to be. Now after 40+ years of writing code I just love to still have the ability to write code and solve business problems.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1431600
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 9:48 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:05 PM
After observing mankind the last 3-4 decades I have changed my mind on the origins of mankind. I think L. Ron Hubbard may have been right.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1431605
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 11:00 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:37 AM
TravisDBA (3/15/2013)
After observing mankind the last 3-4 decades I have changed my mind on the origins of mankind. I think L. Ron Hubbard may have been right.

By that I assume you mean take loads of drugs and let others worry about the truth

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1431645
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 11:24 AM

Ten Centuries

What is truth? Defining truth depends on who you happen to be talking to at the time. L. Ron Hubbard's take is no more crazy than the story about a some man who was born by a virgin, walked on water, and made fish appear out of the sea from nowhere. Are those people who believe that on drugs too?

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1431651
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 11:29 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 8:22 PM
Okay, drop the religious debate. It will go where we really don't want it to go really fast.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1431654
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 11:35 AM

Ten Centuries

No problem Lynn, since I am not that crazy about it either. However, with all due respect, the last time I checked you are not the forum police force around here either . Who are you to tell anyone on this forum what to drop or where a thread should go?

Post #1431655
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse