Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

The Knowledge Graph Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:55 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:06 PM
bwillsie-842793 (1/30/2013)
Does Google, Twitter, Facebook, or any company ever discuss internally the consequences on society if their "latest, greatest, most wonderful" technology is taken to it's "logical extreme" by: (1) Criminals, (2) Psychopaths, (3) Ex-spouses, (4) Overzealous law enforcement, (5) Extremists of any ilk, (6) Governments that contain any or all of the prior?

In a discussion recently a co-worker mentioned the idea of someone on a subway with a pair of "intelligent glasses" linked to face recognition software that searched facebook and other sites for matches, then automatically sent a tweet out "I just saw (person XYZ) on the (specific subway line) between stations C and D."

Consider the "synergy" and consequences of the intersection of those two paragraphs...

Think I'll stay off Facebook another year... :)

I can't think of the name of the book, although I think the author might be Charles Stross, in which just about EVERYONE wore "intelligent" glasses with cameras, constantly recording. Think of it as the equivalent of everyone walking around with their smartphones out, recording everything as they go about their day.

Not to say I like or approve of such an idea (hmm, maybe I'll look at buying a couple acres in the U.P. and go hermit if / when this becomes common,) but it's almost already here.

As for self-driving cars, frankly, I'd love such a thing, at least on the freeways. Going for a 4+ hour drive somewhere? Hop on the freeway, engage the "auto-drive," and pull out a laptop / book / take a nap. Also explored in SF (Minority Report, Red Thunder {novel by John Varley}, Demolition Man all come to mind)

Jason
Post #1413673
Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:42 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, November 24, 2014 9:31 AM
Can we build engines that can divine the context of what we are looking for?

Yes. Have you seen IBM's Watson? It kicked *** on Jeopardy.

Post #1413692
Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:59 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:50 PM
Searching? We are just starting to see it become interesting. What the industry has done to this point is to supply a card catalog of articles and the content of some. It has tapped into parts of what is digitized, and more is becoming digital each day.

Remember Google scanning books and making them available on line? Remember all the digital books for sale on Amazon now? And remember complex search algorithm, and then OLAP, now Big Data and more to come.

We have to remember to the creative genius the tools of today are but toys to be played with to understand and create further approaches and management of data.

In my professional lifetime I have seen what appeared to be impossible become everyday. There is more to come. Also remember in the movie Armageddon Oscar comments about space. To paraphrase him:

This is searching! Course, we're just in the beginning part of searching, we haven't even got to *really* searching yet!

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1413698
Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:35 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:11 PM
Jeff Weight (1/29/2013)
Ambitious project, definitely. I'm a bit skeptical that Google can determine what is fact and what isn't. I think the end result will net something like Wikipedia - never fully trusted.

I worry too, especially if they use algorithms to determine value.

However if they limited this to domains, it could be interesting.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1413712
Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:52 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:06 PM
Knowledge Graph – interesting, another big data Graph database. This is my current interest and learning path as I can see Graph databases taking off more than NoSQL did.

As it sits on top of NoSQL and relational SQL, I wonder how many DBA’s are worried even more about changes to their job if it does so?
Post #1413789
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:26 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:50 PM
Scott Anderson-466019 (1/30/2013)
... I wonder how many DBA’s are worried even more about changes to their job if it does so?

Probably more should be, but not because their work will go away. Rather the concern should be that their work could dramatically increase.

m.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1414221
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:36 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Monday, December 15, 2014 7:14 AM
bwillsie-842793 (1/30/2013)
Does Google, Twitter, Facebook, or any company ever discuss internally the consequences on society if their "latest, greatest, most wonderful" technology is taken to it's "logical extreme" by: (1) Criminals, (2) Psychopaths, (3) Ex-spouses, (4) Overzealous law enforcement, (5) Extremists of any ilk, (6) Governments that contain any or all of the prior?

Why did you include "contain any or all of the prior" when referencing Government. I think it is safe to say that every government entity on Earth since the beginning of time has had (1) Criminals, (2) Psychopaths, (3) Ex-spouses, (4) Overzealous law enforcement, (5) Extremists of any ilk and more unnamed types that are more than willing to set aside decency in an attempt to pad their own pockets.

As to your question, I think the answer may be somewhat complex, requiring the investigation of thousands of variables, investigation of human motivations, determinations as to scope, et cetera. Oh hell, who am I fooling. The answer is NO!

Dave
Post #1414223
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:36 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:11 PM
jasona.work (1/30/2013)

.... Red Thunder {novel by John Varley}

Red Thunder is one of my favorite books. It's the start of a trilogy, but the best one, IMHO.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1414268
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse