Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Could not allocate space for object 'patient' in database 'DMART' because the 'FG2' filegroup is full.. Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:06 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, January 13, 2014 5:42 AM
I'm out of ideas here. When I was first alerted to this situation on a legacy SQL 2000 box I inherited, I found that the data files on it had auto-growth turned off. I turned it on for 2 additional data files, with 500MB increment for auto growth. We then attempted the same data load process that generated that error and got the same thing. I grew the files manually so that the file in the file group in question now has 4.1G free but I still get the same error.
The disk has about 100G free on it. Al files are stored on the same LUN and the DB is online and working.
I also tried to shrinkfile and empty that extra filegroup, but I got a variation of the same thing:
Msg 1105, Level 17, State 2, Line 1
Could not allocate space for object 'rxRej_Excep' in database 'DMART_MACAID' because the 'FG2' filegroup is full.

CheckDB and CheckFileGroup yielded no errors. UpdateUsage on this DB made a lot of updates, as no regular maintenance is scheduled, but it made no difference in the errors.
I have run out of ideas on this one.
name fileid filegroup size maxsize growth usage
DMART 1 PRIMARY 458037248 KB Unlimited 2097152 KB data only
DMART_log 2 NULL 504 KB Unlimited 102400 KB log only
DMART_Data2 3 PRIMARY 26624000 KB Unlimited 512000 KB data only
FG2Data 4 FG2 26624000 KB Unlimited 512000 KB data only

I plan to bounce the server this evening, to see if that makes a difference. I tried just taking it offline and bringing it back on but it had no effect.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Learning something new on every visit to SSC. Hoping to pass it on to someone else.
Post #1361612
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:04 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Bouncing the server made no difference. Still the same error. I am testing with
DBCC ShrinkFile(FG2Data, EmptyFile)
rather than attempting the data load every time.

Thanks,
Chris

Learning something new on every visit to SSC. Hoping to pass it on to someone else.
Post #1361896
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 5:10 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 6:22 AM
A real longshot.

If you back it up and restore to a new named database (leave the original alone) on the same server, same instance same disk, but different folder, will it let you insert a few thousand lines into a new table.

To me it sounds like the area where it keeps its definitions about the database has got corrupt somehow

Wayne

Wayne

Did you get access denied? Great the security works.

Post #1362557
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 7:41 AM
SSC Veteran

That's my suspicion, that the file group was corrupted somehow and DBCC doesn't catch the problem. My fix for this was to script out each table on that file group and recreate on the Primary file group then copy all of the data over and rename the tables. The data loads to the new tables went well and I'm getting ready to drop the old table and remove that file group once it is empty.

Thanks,
Chris

Post #1362668
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 7:42 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 6:22 AM
Ouch!

Wayne

Did you get access denied? Great the security works.

Post #1362670
Posted Monday, September 24, 2012 6:25 AM
SSC Veteran

It worked. Once I copied all tables over to the primary files group I dropped the old tables and then that file, from the DB In the primary file group it is able to expand as needed.

Chris

Post #1363446
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse