Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Time Off Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:39 AM
I hear you, Steve, but WOW, this is hard to do. I have almost 200 hours of vacation, but trying to get the time is difficult. We're short handed. In my case, because I work in the public sector I make, well let's say noticably less than I could doing the same thing in the private sector. Because of that I've not been able to update our family vehicle to something we could trust to get us anywhere, for several years. For several years I've done stay-cations, out of necessity. After a while, though, that doesn't become relaxing, especially for my wife, so why bother taking any time off. I only take time off now when I'm just too burned out.

Rod
Post #1347110
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 6:40 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, February 24, 2014 9:49 AM
I know it is easier said than done, but I have found (through personal experience) that most people in IT don't have that separation of work and home. It is usually a matter of mismatched expectations. That is, your boss expects you to always work 50+ hours a week at all hours of the day but you don't.

With today's tech, there are plenty of ways to manage things when you are out of the office. Use the tools of our trade to make time for vacation. After all, if you died today, the business will still keep going. That's a lot more than 1 week.
Post #1347135
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 6:50 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:30 AM
Michael Lysons (8/20/2012)
I distrust people that don't take all their leave.

That is silly.

Cheers
Post #1347142
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 7:18 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:48 AM
I've fallen into this trap many times. I'd find myself logging in to check on things on days off, etc. A lot of it has been due to a lack of organization. I have a hard time "letting things go" so to speak.

Recently over the past few months I've been working on getting more organized and clearing out my head. Since then, I've been finding that I check in far less often and have less stress overall.
Post #1347153
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 7:19 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:15 AM
I do whatever I can to make sure I take time off whether it is to go on a vacation or just stay home and get stuff done. My daughter spent a month in Italy for college, and she said she really had to slow down and learn to relax and enjoy being there. She said that people over there take a long time to do everything, even eating a meal is a long ordeal. I think we in America are trying to move too fast. We are trying so hard to be at the top of the technology ladder, that we give up family, health and vacations just to keep up at our jobs. And having the ability to connect to work via phone, tablet, laptop, etc., we have a hard time not knowing what is going on at work at all times. Personally, I don't have any alerts coming to me via phone or email once I leave work. I don't check any email when on a day off, or vacation, and I try not to answer calls from work while on any type of vacation. I believe the term Vacation or Day Off means you are away from work, totally. After all, if I didn't have a job, I wouldn't need a vacation or time off to get away from work.
Post #1347154
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 7:21 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 6:26 AM
Brandon Leach (8/20/2012)
I've fallen into this trap many times. I'd find myself logging in to check on things on days off, etc.

I do that too, but it's usually just to strip out the unimportant e-mails so I don't have to wade through 300 of them when I get back to work!
Post #1347156
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 7:31 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 6:29 PM
Raoul Bastendorff (8/20/2012)
Ah Steve... You have not looked at any other European countries. You may find that some are even more generous. And some companies even add more to that.

I haven't. What do you get?

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1347161
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 7:32 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Jeff Stratford (8/20/2012)
As yet another Brit. I have in the past not taken holiday leave or virtually any holiday throughout the year due to work pressures. It can almost become an expectation that you are always on hand. Now for the past few years I ensure to take ALL of my holiday entitlement by the end of each year. The business is better for it and it's better for the soul too. Just wish sunshine could be booked at the same time as leave.

Good for you. It is better for the soul to get away.

Post #1347162
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 7:34 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Doctor Who 2 (8/20/2012)
I hear you, Steve, but WOW, this is hard to do. I have almost 200 hours of vacation, but trying to get the time is difficult. We're short handed. In my case, because I work in the public sector I make, well let's say noticably less than I could doing the same thing in the private sector. Because of that I've not been able to update our family vehicle to something we could trust to get us anywhere, for several years. For several years I've done stay-cations, out of necessity. After a while, though, that doesn't become relaxing, especially for my wife, so why bother taking any time off. I only take time off now when I'm just too burned out.

I think you're missing out. Think outside the box and find ways to change the stay-cation around. Don't run the same routine as though it's a weekend.

As for not taking time off because you're busy? That's silly. I hate to say it, but if you're short handed, that means you're short handed. Not that you give up your leave.

Post #1347163
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 7:41 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 2:02 AM
Doctor Who 2 (8/20/2012)

The public sector is the worst - they lay on guilt trips - I work in the public sector as well, I see them all competing one against another, who can be the first in the office, who will be the last out and yep, who can give up the most leave.

It's a mugs game - they rely on you to stay within their stingy budgets
Post #1347170
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse