Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Time Off Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:38 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Time Off

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1346917
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 1:24 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 5:43 AM
Sometimes things can go a bit far the other way--because I wasn't able to take 8 days of holiday last year (gave it up voluntarily due to things being so busy in the last 3 months of the year) it got brought forward to this year, and I'm struggling to take all that extra time off!
Post #1347009
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 1:33 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 5:25 AM
Being a Brit I can honestly say the last thing I would ever do is not take any of my allotted holiday. Its just not happening. I don't think I have ever even known anyone who doesn't use theirs. For instance after my summer break I now have 6 days left - I'll plan when to use them and book them over the remainder of the year rather than keeping them 'in case' and being stuck with them. I'd like to say I return refreshed but I return probably more snarlingly irritated than before. Sorry colleagues. I do enjoy my job plenty but actually find it easier when I'm settled into a steady routine of doing it. Who's to say I wouldn't be worse without the break though, and I might have more energy subsequently.
Post #1347011
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 2:06 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:02 AM
As another Brit I can echo the above. Our holiday year ends on April 30th and there's always several taking leave in April to get down to the carry over limit without losing the holiday. Personnaly I can never have enough leave!
Post #1347023
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 2:20 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:20 AM
As yet another Brit. I have in the past not taken holiday leave or virtually any holiday throughout the year due to work pressures. It can almost become an expectation that you are always on hand. Now for the past few years I ensure to take ALL of my holiday entitlement by the end of each year. The business is better for it and it's better for the soul too. Just wish sunshine could be booked at the same time as leave.
Post #1347026
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 2:51 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:05 AM
Ah Steve... You have not looked at any other European countries. You may find that some are even more generous. And some companies even add more to that.
Post #1347030
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 3:52 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:02 AM
My jaundiced look at life tells me that if you are failing to take leave because of work pressures or you are working excessive hours it probably means that you are either inefficient - or more likely you are doing some one else's job as well as your own!

Post #1347049
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 4:01 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 4:31 AM
I distrust people that don't take all their leave.
Post #1347054
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 4:15 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:53 AM
"I should have spent more time at the office" is a quotation you will never see on a tombstone.

When I was working (happily now retired) I took all the leave including flexitime (if you worked more than the contracted hours the additional time accumulated). That way I stopped doing two peoples' jobs. We did work the long shifts, the out of hours stuff and disasters but we didn't end up jibbering in the corner from mental and physical exhaustion.

Madame Artois
Post #1347060
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 4:24 AM
SSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:05 AM
It is simply a question of organising your time off. Schedule it long enough in advance so that everybody knows when you are off. Do not wait for the last minute. You are then left with the left-overs.

For my part I always take 2 weeks at Easter, 1 week in June and 3 weeks in October/November, plus a few long weekends. Everybody knows it and everything is scheduled around those periods.

I switch my mobile phone off during those times.
Post #1347062
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse