Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Introduction to DTS in SQL Server 2005 Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:49 PM
Heh, don't tell anyone, ;) but you can create a new DTS package in SSMS by opening an existing legacy DTS package and saving it with a new name. Then, open the new package and replace what's in it with whatever you want in the new package.

Greg
Post #450643
Posted Friday, February 1, 2008 10:45 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 8:35 AM
Works great when you have one to open... some of us have made job transitions to SQL 2k5 only shops... :/

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Post #450644
Posted Friday, February 1, 2008 1:43 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, February 4, 2011 7:20 AM
Maybe for a programmer SSIS is a big improvement over DTS, but for a normal user who just wants to dump the data from a table, it's overly complicated.

I am a Programmer, and have worked with VS for many years. My impression is no different than yours. 'Overly complicated' is a polite way of describing it. I'll keep using DTS for as long as it's supported.

Tom Garth

Tom Garth
Vertical Solutions

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
Post #450754
Posted Monday, February 4, 2008 9:06 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:49 PM
mtassin (2/1/2008)
Works great when you have one to open... some of us have made job transitions to SQL 2k5 only shops... :/

but I would like to occasionally make new DTS packages and not just edit old ones.

It sounded like you had old DTS packages.

Greg
Post #451199
Posted Monday, February 4, 2008 9:38 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, February 4, 2011 7:20 AM
mtassin (2/1/2008)

Do you mean that you don't have access to a single SQL 2k instance? Then why don't you install one, complete with sample DBs, and create a couple of templates to work with?

Tom Garth

Tom Garth
Vertical Solutions

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
Post #451223
Posted Monday, February 4, 2008 4:21 PM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Saturday, August 25, 2012 9:48 PM
hi vinodh,
its really appreciatable work u done.nice presenatation.i like ur work well. like this any articles means pls present.

thx
sreejith
MCAD
Post #451389
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2008 10:57 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:15 AM
hi vinodh,
its really appreciatable work u done
Post #453072
Posted Saturday, March 1, 2008 11:36 AM

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 11:27 AM
Hi Greg,
I read your comment and I would like to try it...

" create a new DTS package in SSMS by opening an existing legacy DTS package and saving it with a new name. Then, open the new package and replace what's in it with whatever you want in the new package."

We have an existing DTS package in SQLPRODUCTION , I would like copy and modify it to SQLTEST using SQL Server Management Studio. I downloaded Design-time Support for SQL Server 2000 DTS Packages.

I'm new in SQL Server 2005, can you tell me the steps on how to do this?

Thanks,
M
Post #462841
Posted Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:13 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:19 PM
Pity it was poorly written, had wrong references, skipped steps, and assumed that the reader knows all the missing steps.
Post #567351
Posted Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:31 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:44 AM
First time I have used 2005. Trying to follow the article but am stuck at the first hurdle.

'Data Transformation Services' does not appear in my list of templates. See screen print.

Post Attachments 
screen.JPG (1 view, 51.48 KB)
Post #788092
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse