Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

The DBA Tax Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:29 AM
djackson 22568 (7/9/2012)
Steve,

I agree with the point that I believe you were intending to make. No arguments whatsoever.

However, a lot of people are worried about losing their jobs, and the reasons are similar enough that I expect to see some contrarian positions here. For example, a lot of highly educated people end up losing their jobs as part of cost cutting measures, only to be replaced by less costly, younger workers. The H1B visa is an atrocious attack on American high tech workers, sold to the public as a way to fill jobs "nobody wants" and "nobody is qualified for", and has been shown to be causing a decline in college students pursuing tech.

Am I afraid of technology replacing me? Not at all.

Do I understand why a lot of people are worried about thier jobs, oh yeah. Those who do may or may not benefit from improving themselves. It is possible to improve oneself out of a job as the cost to employ is raised.

Dave

WOW, very good points, Dave.

Rod
Post #1326879
Posted Monday, July 9, 2012 9:40 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
Jeff Moden (7/8/2012)
Excellent editorial, Steve! I wish I could give it a hundred stars because it really hits the nail on the head. There're too many people that spend way too much time doing the "Chicken Little" thing.

Thanks and glad you like it.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1326935
Posted Monday, July 9, 2012 9:42 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

I agree with the point that I believe you were intending to make. No arguments whatsoever.

Good points, and I won't argue with you on this. There are any number of managers who do think the DBA is a tax and shouldn't be paid. They are happy to get by with less. Nothing to be done there, except to prove you're an asset, not an expense.

Post #1326939
Posted Monday, July 9, 2012 9:45 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Doctor Who 2 (7/9/2012)

Bottom line: if the agency is small enough, they don't want a DBA. They're not willing to pay that "DBA tax". They'll make anyone who has any IT experience be the developer, administrator, PC tech, help desk, network engineer and of course DBA.

I'm not sure you're getting the same point I wanted to make. It isn't that you need a DBA, or that a DBA is a tax. It's that the DBA is often seen as a tax for a system, not providing value, but just cost. That could apply to any position.

The idea is that you want to prove you have value to the company, whatever your position. Make sure they see you as valuable, or I would advise you move on.

Side note: I wouldn't make my life/career decisions based on the impact to other employees. You can talk with them, but if you don't like the work, move on. Life is short, way too short to stick around if you don't have to in a position that doesn't work for you.

Post #1326943
Posted Monday, July 9, 2012 10:27 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Friday, June 13, 2014 12:40 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/9/2012)

Good points, and I won't argue with you on this. There are any number of managers who do think the DBA is a tax and shouldn't be paid. They are happy to get by with less. Nothing to be done there, except to prove you're an asset, not an expense.

Agreed. The goal is to show you save more then you cost. Not always easy to do, but each year I seem to stumble across some way to save actual expenses that exceed what I get paid, not including what I actually "produce" each year as an Analyst and DBA.

One of my favorite examples is when we had to replace all of our time clocks, and I negotiated a price that saved us about 80% of my salary. Pretty easy to show your value that way!

Showing your value as a programmer, a DBA or other technical roles isn't as easy, because we don't normally have those kinds of opportunities for clear savings. How does one assign a value to backups, integrity checks, reindexing - unless something goes wrong first!

Dave

Dave
Post #1326966
Posted Monday, July 9, 2012 11:13 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:05 PM
The idea is that you want to prove you have value to the company, whatever your position. Make sure they see you as valuable, or I would advise you move on.

I totally agree. I once had a IT Director say in a very large meeting "I'm not sure what our DBA's do here." I could not let that go, and I immediately replied, but respectively. "Well sir, if you attended our Change Control meetings every week you would definitely find out. You get the invitation in Outlook every week.." The moral of the story is don't say things about the DBA's if you don't know or care what they do for you.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1326986
Posted Monday, July 9, 2012 11:38 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, July 7, 2014 10:03 AM
If your employer doesn't know what you do and why they pay you then you have already lost the battle. Get out while the getting is good.

Cheers
Post #1327004
Posted Monday, July 9, 2012 2:54 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:46 PM
jfogel (7/9/2012)
If your employer doesn't know what you do and why they pay you then you have already lost the battle. Get out while the getting is good.

It's also time to educate that employer on what you do.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1327162
Posted Monday, July 9, 2012 5:11 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
TravisDBA (7/9/2012)

I totally agree. I once had a IT Director say in a very large meeting "I'm not sure what our DBA's do here." I could not let that go, and I immediately replied, but respectively. "Well sir, if you attended our Change Control meetings every week you would definitely find out. You get the invitation in Outlook every week.." The moral of the story is don't say things about the DBA's if you don't know or care what they do for you.

Be careful what you ask for. You could end up writing a weekly report, instead.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1327213
Posted Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:41 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:14 PM
TravisDBA (7/9/2012)

You need to take two or three weeks off from work, and then your IT Director will know exactly what it is you do.
Post #1327496
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse