Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Smelly Power Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:31 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Smelly Power

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1288691
Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:37 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:05 AM
What they need to be doing to make a data centre *really* green is to use the waste heat for something, rather than just venting it to atmosphere. 15MW of waste heat would heat a small town! I don't know if anybody is actually doing this as yet, but would be cool if they are. (Or should that be hot if they are? ).
Post #1288695
Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:06 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, December 23, 2013 8:15 AM
Excellent point. Perhaps someone could start by harnessing that heat to make the staff's coffee.

Jay Bienvenu | http://bienv.com | http://twitter.com/jbnv
Post #1288832
Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:48 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 6:00 AM
Waste to Energy power is a great technology, and the conception that the process is smelly is inaccurate. Obviously the input tends to be smelly but so long as the stuff is stored correctly before incineration then there is 0 smell.

The heat produced by incinerators is typically used for heating nearby areas, in particular hospitals, who are quite comfortable with incinerators since most hospitals have them for disposing of medical waste.

I'm not sure if the heat off a data centre could be used similarly, however, you could pump the heat into water (like some solar panels) and use the hot(ish) water in the building.
Post #1288867
Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:53 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Today @ 10:31 AM
I once worked briefly at the Trojan nuclear power plant in Oregon; no issues with power there. The office was in the shadow if the cooling tower. That was spooky.

http://columbiariverimages.com/Regions/Places/trojan_nuclear.html
Post #1289200
Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:25 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 3:31 PM
paul.knibbs (4/24/2012)
What they need to be doing to make a data centre *really* green is to use the waste heat for something, rather than just venting it to atmosphere. 15MW of waste heat would heat a small town! I don't know if anybody is actually doing this as yet, but would be cool if they are. (Or should that be hot if they are? ).

If we are talking about Microsoft, yes they are.
Post #1289226
Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:12 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:31 PM
stevemc (4/24/2012)
I once worked briefly at the Trojan nuclear power plant in Oregon; no issues with power there. The office was in the shadow if the cooling tower. That was spooky.

Cool. I worked at Surry and North Anna in Virginia. Cooling towers were far away, but going into the secure area always created a little anxiety for me.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1289354
Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:50 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/24/2012)
stevemc (4/24/2012)

Cool. I worked at Surry and North Anna in Virginia. Cooling towers were far away, but going into the secure area always created a little anxiety for me.

Hey, why? We all die only once, right?
Post #1289477
Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:18 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:11 PM
I would think that venting the waste heat into a cluster of greenhouses would make a lot of sense. Grow expensive flowers or vegetables in places where they would not normally grow, especially during the winter.

Also would be good PR: "Look we're green! See all the greenhouses!"

Post #1289520
Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:35 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

Michael Valentine Jones (4/24/2012)
I would think that venting the waste heat into a cluster of greenhouses would make a lot of sense. Grow expensive flowers or vegetables in places where they would not normally grow, especially during the winter.

Also would be good PR: "Look we're green! See all the greenhouses!"

Exactly. I am under an NDA. but if you will, Bing or Google 'Azure Finland'.

And you may look for hints at heating of the houses of the employees in that inhospitable part of Europe.
Post #1289522
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse