Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

GOTO and T-SQL Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:51 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:07 AM
Got to agree with the general point of Phil's editorial. Look at the instruction set of even the most up to date Processors and they all still include a GOTO and or JUMP statement. Sometimes there is just not a better way to skip some statements. In T-SQL oddly I've never needed GOTO but the day may come and I'm glad its still there.
Post #1225751
Posted Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:46 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:51 AM
First assignment in university I used GOTO.
It came back with red ink saying not to.
I cried and I wailed.
Then realized it was I who had failed.
Then I bid GOTO adieu.
Post #1225786
Posted Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:07 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 8:40 AM
I've been coding for 25+ years, starting out in COBOL on IBM mainframes. GOTOs when used wisely can provide an invaluable coding construct. It all comes down to the 'style' of the coder - if they use GOTO carefully and with structure, it can really simplify a code module. But, unfortunately, most people just abuse it, and they (rightly so) get told not to do that again.
Like a lot of options, use it wisely, because if you abuse it, it will bite you.

And, YES, I do still code with GOTOs in T-SQL, where appropriate.

Post #1225794
Posted Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:11 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
I'd use a GOTO if I felt the need. Mostly though, the "Not-a-GOTO" statements handle it these days. So I haven't used a literal "GOTO" in T-SQL in years.

After all, "While Begin End" is just a goto loop, with "End" instead of "Goto" and "While" instead of a target label. Same can be said for Try Catch being a "covert GOTO".

Different name, same mechanism, same use, better rep.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #1225799
Posted Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:48 AM

SSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:00 AM
In addition to making the code less structured and less readable, another problem (at least for those who choose to use it) with T-SQL's implementation of GOTO is that it's less functional; it's a one way jump and there is no equivalent to Visual Basic's RETURN statement to return control to the statement after the one that issued the GOTO. We do have a RETURN statement, but it's not used for returning from a GOTO branch. That limited control flow functionality was actually good, it prevented T-SQL developers from ever making extensive usage of the GOTO. I don't think I've ever worked in an organization where it's use was common, except for error handling in v2000 and earlier.

I use bit flag variables for control flow extensively, and I may even have a half dozen or more for a procedure with a complex braching process, because the same indicator may control multiple code blocks, and that reusability makes the code more readable. For example:

if @use_old_elig_table = 1
begin
end;

Sometimes I'll even expose the indicator flags as output parameters, so they can be used for unit testing purposes, or so the application can use them to determine details about what steps were performed internally by the stored procedure.
Post #1225817
Posted Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:59 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, June 26, 2014 11:33 AM
no equivalent to Visual Basic's RETURN statement to return control to the statement after the one that issued the GOTO

I think you're actually thinking of the GOSUB statement, which we have in T-SQL as EXEC.

While I haven't personally used GOTO in a very long time either, I can still see a restricted use for it, for the purpose of jumping forward in code (but never backward). Just my 2c but I don't always want every stored proc I write to be one huge TRY..CATCH block.

I find it interesting that Microsoft themselves still use GOTO (2008 R2 at least, haven't tried 2012) when scripting out a SQL Agent job from SSMS.

Post #1225926
Posted Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:13 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 10:01 AM
GOTO is not as evil as it is painted today. When Dijkstra wrote his paper - which not many today's programmers have read -, real programmers programmed in Assembler and GOTO was one of the flavors of the 'branch' instruction. The recommended error handling construct looked like this:

* coming back from a Supervisor call; return code is in register 1
* return codes were multiples of 4
B *+4(1) *+4 is the address of the following instruction
B success you get here if the return code was 0
B error4 you get here if the return code was 4
B error8 etc.

Imagine debugging a program with several 'branch tables' like this. Some Supervisor calls might return over 20 different errors.

On the other hand, some GOTOs were actually encouraged; e.g., BXLE or Branch on Index Lower or Equal, which was the best way to do a WHILE loop.
Post #1225933
Posted Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:48 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:54 PM
Blanket prohibitions are generally a bad idea in any field. All processors have Jump instructions, which are low-level GOTOs, and high-level languages compile or interpret down to that, so your actual code is full of GOTOs anyway, now matter how fanatic you are about structure. They're like any tool - they can be misused, and they can be the best tool for the job. People who automatically just repeat the 'GOTO is BAD' mantra are sheep - I prefer to think for myself.

I also wish T-SQL had a GoSub statement - would have been perfect for a job just today. Instead, I wound up with a couple of GOTOs and some awkward tests.
Post #1226036
Posted Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:36 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:53 AM
A lot of ideas that are painted black are due to mis-interpretations.

Take Hungarian notation. Simonyi suggested its use to signal intent but people mis-interpretted this to signify type. Thats why we get tables beginning with tbl; due to that mis-interpretation.

You could argue that SQL2005/2008 schemas and namespaces are actually closer to expressing Simonyi's original idea.

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1226041
Posted Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:10 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:16 AM
Revenant (12/22/2011)
GOTO is not as evil as it is painted today. When Dijkstra wrote his paper - which not many today's programmers have read -, real programmers programmed in Assembler and GOTO was one of the flavors of the 'branch' instruction. The recommended error handling construct looked like this:

* coming back from a Supervisor call; return code is in register 1
* return codes were multiples of 4
B *+4(1) *+4 is the address of the following instruction
B success you get here if the return code was 0
B error4 you get here if the return code was 4
B error8 etc.

Imagine debugging a program with several 'branch tables' like this. Some Supervisor calls might return over 20 different errors.

On the other hand, some GOTOs were actually encouraged; e.g., BXLE or Branch on Index Lower or Equal, which was the best way to do a WHILE loop.

Don't tell me your one of those that thinks assembler is real programing? I bet you don't from the way you write! Thou it's not entirely uncommon. Those goofs that likes to invent the wheel all over again and again..

No I still stand by that GOTOs in 99% of all cases are written because the programmer did not know better and that was how he did it 20 years ago.
Post #1226049
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse