Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Career Advice - SQL Server Development ---Please Help! Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, July 25, 2011 4:37 PM
I graduated in 2001 from a major university with a BSBA in Computer Information Systems. I didn't go into the computer field when I graduated. However, I have now found a new desire to get into the computer field. I want to get into SQL Server development. What would the most cost effective/quickest way to get into the field. Will my information systems degree help? What classes should I take? What are employers looking for in entry level SQL Server Developer candidates?

Please advise!

Thanks!
Post #1147261
Posted Sunday, July 24, 2011 8:10 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 11:10 AM
Do you have any experience with databases at all? Also, what is it that you've been doing for the last 10 years?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1147275
Posted Monday, July 25, 2011 5:25 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, July 25, 2011 4:37 PM
No experience. I've worked in healthcare management for the past 10 years.
Post #1147404
Posted Monday, July 25, 2011 7:28 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 11:10 AM
It's really hard for a fresher to get into the "SQL Developer" position. They usually want an SQL Ninja. Even places hiring a "Junior" SQL Developer want you to have a year's worth of experience.

If you're still at a healthcare place (which has some huge opportunities to learn about databases), you might want to start there as a "junior". Keep in mind that will likely result in a cut in pay compared to being a manager, but there's nothing like having a mentor or two to teach you and getting the "time in service" on systems that you might already know about.

While you're doing that, buy a copy of SQL Server Developer's Edition (Enterprise Edition with special licensing) and hit the books. Check out the Microsoft Web site for certifications and follow the plan.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1147475
Posted Monday, July 25, 2011 8:16 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
Talk to tech recruiters in your area. They'll know what qualifications are being looked for in the real world. That'll give you a target to aim at for entry-level positions.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #1147530
Posted Monday, July 25, 2011 9:17 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 9:29 AM
The obvious requirements for a "SQL Server Developer" would be to know relational database concepts and how to write SQL. Start with a book on generic RDMS theory, data modeling, and straight SQL first. Next a book on SQL Server T-SQL development, and then a book on data warehousing implementation that covers topics like SSIS, SSRS, and performance tuning large databases.
Post #1147577
Posted Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:43 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Today @ 6:21 AM
OP,

one option may be to find an analyst-type role (in the health care industry). This would increase the % of time spent working with data...and perhaps preserve a bit of pay. A lot of analysts at the company I work for have access to SQL Servers and do a lot of ad-hoc querying against the databases.

Post #1176970
Posted Monday, September 19, 2011 8:47 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:28 PM
If you enjoy the healthcare field, it would be likely your last ten years of experience in the industry would help offset some of the inexperience in SQL. Understanding the industry well in this area is considerably harder than learning SQL. Where I work that amount of experience in healthcare is often a greater employment requirement than the actual skills for a given job position.
Post #1177283
Posted Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:57 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:38 PM
Install SQL Server Dev Edidtion at work, get the book(s) and start making little projects. Spent 3-6 months on that. Once you achieve some level of confidence, you might want to go and talk to some of your friends in the IT dept and offer them your help. It also could be some of the reporting help. People who knows business side and have dev skills are very valuable. But you have to be persistent and it will take some time....

Post #1178388
Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 1:45 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, August 25, 2014 12:42 AM
hi, how 'bout in my case? i wanna go back to being an sql ninja in the back seat. you see i was a dot net developer for some 6 or 7 years and was a dba for about 8 months when i had to relocate here in singapore and start work as dot net developer again. now, i want to relive my dream of being an sql consultant that travels...any advice?

Cheers!
[url=http://coffeeandsql.com/][/url]

Post #1287971
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse