Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««23456»»

Creating a 2 Node SQL Server 2008 Virtual Cluster Part 1 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, October 06, 2011 12:26 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 11:51 AM
mohammed moinudheen (10/6/2011)
I added the 20 GB disk but my laptop got very slow

On a host machine with low resources this is common, creating the pre allocated disk file will hammer the host disk. You may even lose connectivity with the vmware server console. Open windows explorer and go to the VMs folder location and hitting refresh you should see the file size climbing. Once its finished creating the file you may then proceed.

But I was not sure if I had done this correctly so I performed above step again.

As i said go to the VMs folder location in explorer and check how many virtual hard disks you see (and their sizes )

Now, I tried the next step.
"Power on the VM and and from the host machine login to the Freenas console using the URL http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address assigned previously"

I powered on VM and in the host machine, I typed in http://10.10.10.2/ , but the message is "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". In fact, I had give the same IP address as in "Enter the new LAN IP address" section of article. Not sure, if I am doing these steps correctly.

Please provide your suggestions.

Check the virtual machines NIC is not disabled and also the virtual network it is connected to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1186715
Posted Thursday, October 06, 2011 11:02 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 5:49 PM
In the first case "As i said go to the VMs folder location in explorer and check how many virtual hard disks you see (and their sizes )"

I could go to the VM folder location and see the virtual hard disks.
There are two files of 20 GB each. Please see screenshot below.

In the second,"Check the virtual machines NIC is not disabled and also the virtual network it is connected to."
I could see the NICs are enabled and still the link was not coming up.Screenshot below.

Please suggest.

Mohammed Moinudheen
Post #1186913
Posted Friday, October 07, 2011 1:37 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

You're only showing 1 hard disk attached to the vm, might be worth deleting the virtual machine and starting again.

What subnet do you have configured for VMNet2?

Can you ping the virtual machines IP address successfully when trying to connect to the web admin site.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1186950
Posted Friday, October 07, 2011 11:37 AM

SSCrazy

I deleted the Virtual machine and started again. Now, I could see the 20 GB virtual hard disk added, screenshot below.

However, I am still seeing the same error message when I go to the link http://10.10.10.2/
One thing I noticed, during the steps of configuring the LAN IP address, below are my observations.
After this step, "Select "no" for the IPv6 configuration,"

I am getting this screen and not what is shown in the article.

As per the article, the next screen is supposed to be like this where you get the message regarding interface setup. Is this the reason for the webGUI not showing up?

Also please find more details below related to your previous queries.

What subnet do you have configured for VMNet2?

It is 10.10.10.0, just followed the same steps as described in article

Can you ping the virtual machines IP address successfully when trying to connect to the web admin site. ?

How to check this?

Please suggest

Mohammed Moinudheen
Post #1187298
Posted Friday, October 07, 2011 11:51 AM

SSCrazy

Another point, during the LAN configuration, I am encountering this pop up window after entering
the Supply the Network mask (using CIDR notation) as 24.

What is the value for this?
Please suggest.

Mohammed Moinudheen
Post #1187307
Posted Friday, October 07, 2011 12:25 PM

SSCrazy

Not to worry,please ignore previous error messages encountered, I was able to complete successfully this module after some more trials and testing.

Will proceed to part 2.Thank you.

Mohammed Moinudheen
Post #1187328
Posted Friday, October 07, 2011 1:25 PM

SSCertifiable

Well done Mohammed.

This is article is designed to do exactly what has happened here. You've a deal more now haven't you

Post #1187361
Posted Saturday, October 08, 2011 7:04 AM

SSCrazy

Thank you Perry. The article is cool and you could complete all of it easily just by referring the screenshots. Of course, if you hit any roadblocks you are there to help .

I have one question though. I had configured all the steps in part 1 successfully, however, today after restarting my laptop I was unable to logon to the VMWare server home page. I am not sure what was the reason. I checked few things but I was unable to figure it out. So again, I started all over and now I am back to square one. Completed part 1 and going to start part 2 of series.

Mohammed Moinudheen
Post #1187483
Posted Saturday, October 08, 2011 9:29 AM

SSCertifiable

mohammed moinudheen (10/8/2011)
today after restarting my laptop I was unable to logon to the VMWare server home page. I am not sure what was the reason.

did you check the VMWare services are running on the host machine?

Post #1187499
Posted Saturday, October 08, 2011 10:16 AM

SSCrazy

Perry Whittle (10/8/2011)
mohammed moinudheen (10/8/2011)
today after restarting my laptop I was unable to logon to the VMWare server home page. I am not sure what was the reason.

did you check the VMWare services are running on the host machine?

Oops, no. I didn't check, that was easy. Guess you must to be referring to this one as I didn't find any other utility.

Mohammed Moinudheen
Post #1187504
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««23456»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse