Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Consistent Data Presentation Expand / Collapse
Author

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, March 10, 2014 9:39 AM
The link in the explanation (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff647793.aspx) says:

"This content is outdated and is no longer being maintained. It is provided as a courtesy for individuals who are still using these technologies."

Boy that hurt!
Am I a dinosaur? Sometimes talking to application developers, I feel I am.
Post #1096165
Posted Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:23 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 4:24 AM
cengland0 (4/20/2011)
I was wondering how you could have an "All of the above" option with a "Choose Two" directive. Let's say, for instance, that all of them were correct. You would select the "All of the above" option and which other one?

2% have selected that one though. It may not sound much but it means one in fifty businesses may be in trouble
Post #1096170
Posted Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:15 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 10:41 AM
The inspiration for this question came from: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/TotalScores

The number of Points (won) - 599 - for me near the top of the Question of the Day Breakdown table does not match my Score - 603 - at the bottom of the Question of the Day table. I have no idea why they differ. It may have nothing to do with the answers in this question. But it did get me thinking about designing for data consistency so I thought I'd submit the question.

I also learned something new from this question. For those who complain that the questions do not get reviewed by the editors, I can assure you that they indeed do get reviewed. This question had to be modified and resubmitted twice before getting published. I, for one, appreciate all the hard work that goes into making this site the valuable resource that it is to all of us.
Post #1096256
Posted Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:18 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:26 AM
Dave62 (4/20/2011)
The inspiration for this question came from:

The number of Points (won) - 599 - for me near the top of the Question of the Day Breakdown table does not match my Score - 603 - at the bottom of the Question of the Day table. I have no idea why they differ. It may have nothing to do with the answers in this question. But it did get me thinking about designing for data consistency so I thought I'd submit the question.

Ah, so I'm not the only whose points don't match
It is not necessarily a redundancy issue, if those points are calculated facts. But that means they are calculated twice, and one of them has an error in the calculation...

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1096259
Posted Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:47 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:32 AM
I would argue that sometimes you may have redundant data in your database to make reporting easier and faster.

Tony
------------------------------------
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Post #1096280
Posted Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:04 AM

SSCrazy

tabinsc (4/20/2011)
I would argue that sometimes you may have redundant data in your database to make reporting easier and faster.

Right. There are all kinds of edge cases that can be sighted to buck just about any best practice. That's why I tried to word the question loosely so the answer would be obvious while still leaving room for the edge cases.

"...which of these practices are most likely..."

Still, having redundant data may make reporting "easier and faster", in some cases. But easier and faster does not necessarily equate to "consistent data presentation".
Post #1096293
Posted Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:13 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:26 AM
tabinsc (4/20/2011)

There is a difference between redundant data in one table (like a dimension) and redundant data between different tables.
I would argue that the last one should be avoided, where the first one is ideal for reporting.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1096302
Posted Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:29 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:32 AM
I haven't proven this correct yet, but I am thinking redundant data in two tables makes sense if you need that data to join the tables properly and avoid table/index scans in the execution plan. You could create indexes on the redundant columns to force index seeks on both tables.

Tony
------------------------------------
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Post #1096313
Posted Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:55 AM

SSCrazy

tabinsc (4/20/2011)
I haven't proven this correct yet, but I am thinking redundant data in two tables makes sense if you need that data to join the tables properly and avoid table/index scans in the execution plan. You could create indexes on the redundant columns to force index seeks on both tables.

My initial reaction to this statement was going to be "well that explains the percentage of incorrect answers".

But to answer more seriously, I'd say it sounds like another edge case scenario. In general, I would try to use a primary key foreign key relationship to join the tables, or a cross-reference table that uses a key from each table make the connection, or any other method that doesn't involve storing, indexing and joining on redundant data with no constraints that ensure data integrity.
Post #1096346
Posted Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:18 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 1:51 PM
Excellent straight forward question.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1096360