Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Calling SQL Server With A BlackBerry Phone Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:11 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, April 11, 2014 3:20 PM
Hi grovelli,

You need to download the enhanced package from my site:

http://www.newdalesystems.com/Articles/Article017/images.zip

which includes the revised article containing the explanation, better IP address handling, and an XML configuration file which self-explains how it can be used to avoid displaying parameters in the browser.

R Glen Cooper
glencooper.tel
Post #1061896
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:41 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:48 PM
Thanks Glen, I've downloaded and extracted all the files in your Images.zip, what's the name of the file holding the revised article containing the explanation?
It's just a little vbscript on the desktop web server making connections to SQL Servers and issuing SQL queries on those servers.

What's a desktop web server?
Post #1061985
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:21 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Hi grovelli,

After you unzip Images.zip you need to unzip one of its components ImagesPackage.zip. This will yield the source code (the explanation is in the XML file).

By desktop web server, I mean IIS that comes with XP Professional (the Home version doesn't offer it).

R Glen Cooper
glencooper.tel
Post #1062041
Posted Friday, February 11, 2011 1:51 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, December 17, 2012 7:48 AM
Glen, good article. I have things set, I believe - and and getting a response from my iis - but it is also showing an error occurred...but not much details on what that might be. Below is the page readout -

Any thoughts would be appreciated -

Images

Host SQL Server spikenology
Host SQL Login spike
Host SQL Password ****
Host Database ImageHost
Client SQL Server spikenology
Client SQL Login spike
Client SQL Password ****
Client Database ImagesClient

Host SQL Server is currently specified as:

Host SQL Server = spikenology
Host Login = spike
Host Password = spike2
Host Database = ImagesHost

Client SQL Server is currently specified as (required for downloading to client):

Client SQL Server = spikenology
Client Login = spike
Client Password = spike2
Client Database = ImagesClient

An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.
If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.
Post #1062823
Posted Friday, February 11, 2011 2:59 PM
Valued Member

Ok you have helplevel = 2 so parameters are displayed showing both databases are connected.

I assume you are using the package on my web site.

Can you view an image?

You could put a line in imagedownload.asp, if you are downlading, to display the openset query (disable the actual call) and then use query analyzer to run it manually.

R Glen Cooper
glencooper.tel
Post #1062855
Posted Saturday, March 05, 2011 5:17 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:16 PM
Hi Alen Tiplitsky, who wrote:
"...it's a lot easier done with iphones and android phones. and without the need to keep your home computer on 24/7"

Can you elaborate with an example; or give a link to more information?

Thanks!
Post #1073783
Posted Saturday, April 23, 2011 4:33 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 7:10 AM
I was trying to implement this but got an error on the images.asp screen

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e09'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Changed database context to 'ImagesHost'.

Post #1097841
Posted Saturday, April 23, 2011 7:28 PM
Valued Member

I assume you can open any htm file on your desktop Web directory from your phone, eg.

http://nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn/images/imageHelp.htm

where nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn is your server's external IP address.

Your router must redirect port 1433 to the host machine, and your firewall must not prevent that (you might turn it off temporarily).

Also, check that you can run any asp file on your server from your phone.

If not, try running the app directly on your server using its own internal IP address.

I don't know how you called the images.asp page, but increasing the help level to 2 or 3 might help diagnose the problem:

http://nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn/images/images.asp?helplevel=2

You might try adding a response.write(driverHost) statement on the program's driverHost variable to see what it looks like (while disabling the actual connection: connectionHost.Open driverHost).

That variable is set as:

driverHost = "DRIVER={SQL Server};SERVER=" & hostServer & ";UID=" & hostLogin & ";PWD=" & hostPassword & ";DATABASE=" & hostDatabase

The other place where connectivity might be an issue is where you can get the opening page, but you can't retrieve a file that's listed (which resides in the SQL database). For simply viewing a file, go to the image.asp file (not images.asp) and put in the same sort of diagnostics.

These are the places where things generally fail, and it usually has something to do with simply connecting to the server (the app itself is fairly trivial).

Basically, if you can connect to your SQL Server from your phone's Web browser using direct calls that by-pass the app, the app should work OK.

R Glen Cooper
glencooper.tel
Post #1097852
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse