Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««910111213»»»

An Introduction to Database Design Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, October 20, 2014 5:31 AM
Great article Paul
Post #1405861
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 4:40 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, November 21, 2013 1:20 AM
I have just read this article for the first time and found to be very informative. Have you followed it up with an article on T-SQL and, if so, is there a link?
Post #1405899
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 4:42 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, November 21, 2013 1:20 AM
I have just read this article for the first time and found to be very informative. Have you followed it up with an article on T-SQL and, if so, is there a link?
Post #1405900
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 6:27 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, January 17, 2014 6:40 AM
Excellent article for the db beginner, Paul. I'm a newbie to this forum but felt compelled to tell you how much I appreciate this article for it's elegant simplicity in explaining the merits of databases. I am excited to share it with co-workers who are just now learning about databases and coming over to the SQL side. Many thanks.
Post #1405971
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 8:15 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, January 11, 2013 12:29 PM
Very well written article - - clear and succinct. And the story approach makes it more engaging. 5 stars.

For discussion (not a criticism):
Regarding the bridge table - - because you have added quantity to the Receipts-Product table, I would think of this table as a fact table. If the purpose of the table was purely for resolving the many-to-many for queries for business information, and not to select quantity, then I would think of that as a bridge table.

If you're going to put quantity in the table, you're more than likely also going to put date, and now the true transactional purpose of the table becomes obvious. And with any transactional table, your non-date keys will probably repeat - so now it is clearly NOT a bridge table.

bjf
Post #1406059
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 8:19 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, January 14, 2013 7:55 AM
This is a good refreshing article.Many dont know the basic of DB and I think this should start beginner up for great database career
Post #1406065
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 8:23 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, January 14, 2013 7:55 AM
This is very refreshing as an article. Many need to know the basic This will start up many interested beginners into database
career.
Post #1406070
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 8:23 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:35 PM
Great article overall.

I respectfully disagree with this statement, "Bob quickly found himself preferring the SELECT, JOIN, and WHERE syntax over the designer" even as a professional database admin\developer I find I sometimes prefer the designer for simplifying complicated joins or even when I just don't feel like typing out table and field names over and over.
Post #1406073
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 8:35 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:18 AM
krowley (1/11/2013)
Great article overall.

I respectfully disagree with this statement, "Bob quickly found himself preferring the SELECT, JOIN, and WHERE syntax over the designer" even as a professional database admin\developer I find I sometimes prefer the designer for simplifying complicated joins or even when I just don't feel like typing out table and field names over and over.

Intellisense makes short work of that typing. You can click and drag table names and field names from the Object Explorer into your queries and if you're typing, intellisense will complete the field names for you, making that much easier as well. In the end you have a much more readable query than anything put together by the designer and you can comment it as well.

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
--------------------------------------
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1406085
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 8:45 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:35 PM
I need to figure out how to setup my SQL Server Management Studio to do intelisense then.

I have the management studio for SQL Server 2008 R2 installed but the database server is only running 2005 and the databases are mostly in 2000 compatibility mode. Does this make a difference?

Intelisense seems to work on my home computer with the same version of management studio, but I am working with 2008 version databases there.
Post #1406094
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««910111213»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse