Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Women and Men - Same or Different? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, October 2, 2010 11:19 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 12:49 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Women and Men - Same or Different?

Post #997234
Posted Monday, October 4, 2010 12:21 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 11:59 PM
This sure is an interesting topic.
I wrote about it in my blog ([url=http://verasqldba.blogspot.com/2010/08/women-and-ict.html][/url])
My question was more why there are so few women in ICT in general.
In my opinion the difference starts already at school.
In general there still is a roll pattern that says that women need to take care of the children, the household and that men are the once gaining the money. As long as this pattern isn't broken, I don't believe men and women will be equal. So yes, there is a difference.
Women need to do more to get the same opportunities and to get payed to same for the same job.
Fortunatelly, the place where I work handles a different kind of paysystem, without the difference in gender. Guess I'm lucky.

Vera
Post #997368
Posted Monday, October 4, 2010 12:52 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 4:36 AM
interesting article...

And in true SSC fashion the answer is:
"it depends"
Post #997375
Posted Monday, October 4, 2010 1:07 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 2:18 AM
Computing appealed to women far more in the seventies when I did my degree and the emphasis was on programming and not on networks, hardware, games or similar aspects of IT which appeal to the men. We see computers are a tool to do a task, whether that is creating a program to run the business, or one to enable us to communicate with friends. It's like a car - we can drive it without knowing in detail how the engine works.
Then men went on to design the computing courses and they became the study of "the engine" - hardware/networks etc and that made them appealing to men and girls derided computing as a geeky boys thing.

I work in a team of six in application development and four of us are women of that seventies computing era. We don't do hardware and networks, that is "the other side" - of the room and somehow a great divide. No women there.
Maybe the rise of social networking and its appeal to women as a communication tool will change matters.
Post #997380
Posted Monday, October 4, 2010 2:11 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 5:21 AM
I just have one problem with women (not all) in the work place. The thing is lots of them do not want to think for themselves and hey, just before you go of on a tangent, I have seen some mighty impressive women in my years of working. I had encountered an IT network lady working for a company that I gave software support for. She earned a much fatter salary than me but whenever she got stuck and I was there she would ask me to please help with a network problem. Remember I said I gave doftware support and was never trained to do networking. I just basically stand there and she fixes it herself. Unfortunately my wife is also like that. Whenever a problem arises, hubby must please fix. Hey, I love her and I continuously try to give her a lift in life.

Then I must say that there are men like that as well so, yes if they are up to it they can earn the same salary as me.

Manie Verster
Developer
Johannesburg
South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)
Post #997392
Posted Monday, October 4, 2010 3:59 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 9:00 AM
Interesting article.

I think the answer is - 'it depends'. Of course women and men should be given equal reward for equal work. However how different genders choose different career paths is a mystery for me. Are all people of the same gender even the same??

With my young children (age 6 and 4) I have noticed how they seem to have almost 'in-built' preferences without being directed by us as parents. My 4 year old girl is mad on pink, dolls, make-up(!!) and clothes and dressing up. We never pushed her in this direction. My son is into star wars, toy soldiers and building things. He would not be seen dead in anything pink and playing with dolls. He wears anything that is put out for him (within reason as I do not think he would wear a dress) and is not fussy about going through his entire wardrobe to decide what to wear.

However to contradict the typical stereotypes that this suggests we have noticed other preferences with my daughter. We have loads of Lego around. Whenever it is out she will build things alongside her brother. So much so that we have brought her some of her own. Whenever I am trying to do some DIY she will join her brother in fetching out the Toy tools and 'helping' me. This has been entirely by her choice - I guess she just enjoys joining in with what is going on. What this suggests to me is that my daughter is more adaptable to situations. I have never seen my son playing with dolls because they happen to be around.

Perhaps this is the key difference in that if girls are given the chance they will tend to be more adaptable. For example women get into all sorts of sports - for example playing Football, whereas not as many boys will try traditional female sports. Perhaps this is similar in the workplace with women increasingly trying different roles that were once male only environments, whereas men tend to follow traditional roles and shy away from jobs that are seen as women roles.
Post #997428
Posted Monday, October 4, 2010 5:00 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:57 AM
I was disappointed by this article. I felt cheated of an opportunity to gain insight. Clearly you are well qualified & possibly able to provide new input on a complex topic of "Compare & contrast Women & Men".
Instead you avoided the question & substituted a no-brainer question of Equality. Jumped on the popular answer of yes. Then took a quick stab as Pay Consistency & glanced off a heavily discussed but rarely concluded Nature vs Nurture debate. In short, Nothing new.

I put it to you that No - People do not like to be treated equally. They like, & deserve, to be treated FAIRLY. We are all unique, we all have different priorities & biases. eg: Giving all your employees the same computer is annoying. Some would prefer a huge screen while others desire portability & battery life. Some desire a social work environment away from home, others detest peak-hour would love to telecommute from home. That is why the world is full of different product offerings.

On pay equality. Few people would ask their manager for equal pay with their peers if they knew they were currently paid more than their peers. So not all women want equal pay, only those who think they are paid less than their peers do. As an aside I've never heard of "women" pushing for wage equality argue that that their male & female peers based in India should also be paid as much as the male equivalents in USA.
I'm not disagreeing with your request of equal pay for equal work, statistics show you have a case.
My point is "the most obvious answer is rarely the best".

On avg gender & social variations. Most of the best managers I've had were female. Yet it is also common for 2 female employees to create a morale "black hole" as they attempt to bitch & enlist the rest of the office to "take their side" in some personal vendeta/dispute. Understanding these types of gender related differences might permit one to customise their approach to others, thus improving their happiness. I thought you might have touched on something like that in your article.

"Treat everyone as they would like to be treated” ... that is not always the same as treating everyone equally.
Post #997449
Posted Monday, October 4, 2010 5:39 AM
SSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:57 AM
tim.kay (10/4/2010)
He would not be seen dead in anything pink and playing with dolls.

Sure a female doll & doll house may be hard for him to relate to. But buy him a few "Star Wars" dolls (action figures) & a doll house (Battle Star base).
I bet he'll play with it for hours.

I watched my twins (boy / girl) play with the same toys. When they were alone it was interested to see the completely different scenarios they played. My son was typical; conflict & preparing for conflict, just like the movie taught him. My daughter had all the lego dudes & action figures talking & chatting with each other. They very rarely destroyed anything or blew it up.

Genders with the same social background are very similar but they often come at the issues from quite different perspectives.
Post #997465
Posted Monday, October 4, 2010 6:35 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 11:13 AM
Hey Wendy! Excellent editorial. 110% agreement. You really couldn't have put it any better.

BTW, regarding boys & girls & toys, I have twins, one boy, one girl, our intention was to raise them identically, same toys, all that stuff, because we really do believe in equal treatment, equal opportunity, everything you're writing about. Well, unfortunately, we ran full tilt into, what I assume, is nature. The girl automatically rejected any toy that wasn't pink & fluffy & girly. The boy gravitated straight to boy stuff. There was a bit of cross-over, but our equal approach was superceded by the kids wishes. For what it's worth.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #997505
Posted Monday, October 4, 2010 7:06 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Saturday, March 15, 2014 1:45 PM
Party On Dudes!
Post #997527
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse