Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Import Excel Spreadsheet Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, September 30, 2010 11:48 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, October 1, 2010 9:46 PM
Can anyone tell me how to import an Excel spreadsheet into SQL so that the contents of the spreadsheet form an entire table in SQL please?
Post #996439
Posted Friday, October 1, 2010 6:19 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 7:22 AM
Right click your database -> Tasks -> Import Data -> Source: MS Excel -> File Path -> Destination

That gets you to the general area. Then you have a variety of options depending on your needs.

You can also save it as an SSIS package if you will be doing the same tasks frequently.

Post #996578
Posted Friday, October 1, 2010 9:50 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, October 1, 2010 9:46 PM
Hey Thank you for the help but when I right click the database I don't have the option to import data into my database. I'm running SQL Server Management Studio Express 2005 is there an upgrade that I should perform?
Post #997139
Posted Saturday, October 2, 2010 2:59 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:16 AM
Clkgtrs1 (10/1/2010)
Hey Thank you for the help but when I right click the database I don't have the option to import data into my database. I'm running SQL Server Management Studio Express 2005 is there an upgrade that I should perform?

It should be under the Tasks sub-menu.

You can also use the OpenRowSet / OpenDataSource functions:
SELECT * 
INTO dbo.MyNewTable
FROM OPENROWSET('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0','Excel 8.0;Database=C:\test\xltest.xls', [Customers$])

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #997171
Posted Saturday, October 2, 2010 4:23 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 2:58 AM
other alternate is use linked server.

edit:-
follow this linke on how to configure
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306397

----------
Ashish
Post #997185
Posted Sunday, October 3, 2010 11:54 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 7:22 AM
Clkgtrs1 (10/1/2010)

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Management Studio Express 2005

Post #997302
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse