Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««23456

Learning Oracle Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 8:34 AM
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (2/8/2013)
nick.mcdermaid (9/20/2012)
In Oracle, client tools are painful. You need to buy TOAD for a GUI, and has some good features (CTRL-Clkick to get table info) but it's basically a dogs breakfast.

SQL Developer is a free GUI by Oracle that pretty much does all that is needed - also, web based OEM is pretty good and offers stuff I have not seen in any other GUI like the capabiltiy to run and check AWR reports, real time tracing, etc.
TOAD is pretty bad at closing connections, I know production environments where it has been banned.
If looking for a third party GUI I would go with DBArtisan.

Oracle SQL Developer is an OK tool, and it can even support connections to a few other database engines like SQL Server, MySQL, and MS-Access. However, it's not as polished as SQL Server Management Studio. SQL Developer is written in Java, which I guess is a plus for some people who develope across different client platforms, but like most all Java apps I've found the tool to be sluggish and occasionally hang.
Post #1417856
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««23456

Permissions Expand / Collapse