Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

RESTORE Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:11 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:54 AM
Question - Is there any way to a make a fully recovered database to no recovery mode or stand by mode.

Reason :
I have restored a database with recovery mode on server A from full backup of server B and the database size is 400 GB and it took 7 hours.

Unfortunately,due to some transactions on server A ,I need to apply these changes to server B so I took diff backup. But to apply this diff I need to retore full backup with norecovery and apply diff backup with recovery and this will kill my whole day....

Any help is really appreciated
Post #967714
Posted Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:12 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 5:04 PM
Unfortunately no. Sorry.

David

@SQLTentmaker
SQL Tentmaker
“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot
Post #967717
Posted Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:18 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:21 PM
sqlbee19 (8/11/2010)
But to apply this diff I need to retore full backup with norecovery and apply diff backup with recovery and this will kill my whole day....

Yes, you do.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #967724
Posted Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:30 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:54 AM
thanks
Post #967739
Posted Wednesday, August 11, 2010 5:16 PM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:11 PM
sqlbee19 (8/11/2010)
Question - Is there any way to a make a fully recovered database to no recovery mode or stand by mode.

A neat trick is to always do your restore with no_recovery. It's fairly easy to do the recovery afterwards as a seperate step if you find there aren't any logs or diff backups to apply. And as you have discovered it saves having to do the whole restore again if you suddenly realise you need to apply some logs etc.

Cheers

Leo
Post #967877
Posted Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:32 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, July 18, 2013 11:33 PM
backup tail of the transaction log would put the database into norecovery mode ?
Post #967939
Posted Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:31 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 11:56 PM
one more addition... you can also try snapshots as restoring from snapshot takes very less time as compared to full backup.

But in this case u don't have choice my friend.....

Rohit
Post #968170
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse