Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

A Quick Look at the MPP World Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:37 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
Very informative, thank you! I would add another relative newcomer to this list: AsterData. We have been using their system at my last job with great success. It's especially good at supporting complex NPath (map reduce) queries. You can read more about it on their website.

Post #967870
Posted Thursday, August 12, 2010 12:44 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 12:22 AM
Do you have any first hand experience with the new product and do you have knowledge of the hardware requirements?

Not yet but I have spoken with people in the DW industry who are saying that, while it is on the right path, it isn't there yet. Given M$ enthusiasm for the BI stack I expect them to do whatever it takes to make it a success.

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #968505
Posted Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:42 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:49 AM
hmm, successful as in profitable?

Taking a step back from the technical discussion I see a mayor re-marketing strategy pushed forward with 2008 R2 but as developers are we getting quality products or market domination? We have so many editions developer, standard, enterprise, express, web, workgroup, datacenter, Parallel Data Warehouse, compact, azure, etc, etc. But do any of these products truely stand on there own two feet or are they all reliant on additional M$ technologies (windows server, share point, .net, excel, even bing) and additional M$ certificated personel.

All the competitive products mentioned deliver very successfully without forcing you to commit to a M$ marriage and a very expensive long term relationship.

I just hope the MPP solution houses keep producing quality and don't get eaten up by the marketing giant.
Post #968619
Posted Friday, November 19, 2010 7:02 AM
SSCrazy

IBM has acquired Neteeza.

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/32955.wss

LinkedIn Profile
Post #1023492
Posted Friday, November 19, 2010 7:26 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

And M$ got their datallegro.

I went to a virtual Denali seminar earlier this week, which was very good.

M$ will be allowing their deminsional modeling engine to interact with the new the PDW. A cube on steroids, nice!
Post #1023517
Posted Friday, November 19, 2010 7:26 AM
SSC Rookie

And M$ got their datallegro.

I went to a virtual Denali seminar earlier this week, which was very good.

M$ will be allowing their deminsional modeling engine to interact with the new the PDW. A cube on steroids, nice!
Post #1023519
Posted Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:44 AM
SSCrazy

One point I forgot to mention was a data warehouse appliance is a self contained unit so you won't be cannibalizing your existing storage and IO. There is obviously a network bandwidth consideration.

Oh, and EMC have bought Green-plum

LinkedIn Profile
Post #1037860
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse