Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SQL 2008 Default DateTime format Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, November 4, 2010 5:15 PM
Hi All
I need to change the SQL 2008 Default DateTime format from
YYYY-mm-dd HH:MM:SS TO dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss
Please help I am stuck now
One other thing I am migrating From SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 to SQL 2008.
Kind Regards
Post #938797
Posted Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:29 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:40 AM
Exactly what are you trying to do ?

Are you trying to convert from a string to a date, or from a date to a string ?

Is the conversion done inside a stored procedure, or is it done in a client application ?

Post #938841
Posted Thursday, June 17, 2010 11:13 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, December 4, 2013 1:49 PM
If you are concerned about formatting output, you would be far better off handling all of that through whatever application you're using for the user interface. If you must pre-format in SQL Server, take a look at the CONVERT function in Books Online.

If you are having issues with how SQL Server is interpreting inputted dates, take a look at this article.

└> bt

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #939112
Posted Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:18 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Sunday, July 20, 2014 11:55 AM
You might want to read the ANSI/ISO Standards; the ISO-8601 date **display** format "yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM:ss.sssss" is the only one allowed in SQL.

It is also one format that cannot be misread. Look at UK versus US traditional date formats.

You also might want to learn how a tiered architecture works. ALL display formatting is done in the front end and NEVER done in the database.

You are a newbie who needs to do more studying.

Books in Celko Series for Morgan-Kaufmann Publishing
Analytics and OLAP in SQL
Data and Databases: Concepts in Practice
Data, Measurements and Standards in SQL
SQL for Smarties
SQL Programming Style
SQL Puzzles and Answers
Thinking in Sets
Trees and Hierarchies in SQL
Post #939203
Posted Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:54 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:09 PM
If SQL Server is conveting a string to DATETIME, there are only 2 unambiguous formats that SQL Server will always parse correctly:
'YYYYMMDD HH:MM:SS:mmm', example: '20100617 15:46:59.997'
'YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SS:mmm', example: '2010-06-17T15:46:59.997'

Any other format can have problems, depending on the settings of DATEFORMAT and LANGUAGE.

Post #939240
Posted Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:58 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, February 15, 2013 12:53 PM
As far as I know, upgrading the SQL Server does not require changing the default format of dates Why do you need to do it?
Post #939245
Posted Friday, June 18, 2010 2:22 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, November 4, 2010 5:15 PM
Hi All
Thank you for you reply. The Whole story is this. I am migrating my online systems from Windows Server 2003 to Win Server 2008 and SQL Server 2000 to Server 2008. Everything was fine but a date foremat wasnt good. Because in SQL 2000 date format was "dd/mm/yyyy" and in 2008 it is "yyyy-mm-dd" and when i was trying to insert the valuse into DB table from existing huge online system it was sending a the conversion error.

BUT EVERY THING IS SORTED NOW. I JUST CHANGE THE LANGUAGE OF LOGIN FROM ENGLISH TO BRITISH ENGLISH.
Post #939423
Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:04 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 3:01 AM
Thanks for this thread. I had a similar issue when I migrated a database to a new 2008 server. A pre-existing login had the wrong language causing the issues above, this thread made me check and realise the problem.

BTW much as I respect you Mr Celko, you are overly harsh above - I am fully cognisant of the correct way to do dates, unfortunately many of us have to deal with non-ideal code we cannot change and that we need to keep working, much against our preferences.
Post #1545796
Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:11 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 4:50 AM
call.copse (2/27/2014)
BTW much as I respect you Mr Celko, you are overly harsh above - I am fully cognisant of the correct way to do dates, unfortunately many of us have to deal with non-ideal code we cannot change and that we need to keep working, much against our preferences.

+ 1

You might want to read the ANSI/ISO Standards

..particularly if you have trouble sleeping
Post #1545798
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse