Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Mentor Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 10, 2013 6:46 AM
I have been working with T-SQL for a few months now fulltime and have learned some of the things that I need. I would like to take my skills to the next level and was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me?
Post #936326
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 3:20 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:28 PM
Which part of the world do you hail from?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #936332
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 3:28 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Los Angeles area of California.
Post #936337
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 3:31 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:28 PM
john-902052 (6/11/2010)
I have been working with T-SQL for a few months now fulltime and have learned some of the things that I need. I would like to take my skills to the next level and was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me?

Why just select a single person?
If you decide to hang around here for a while there will be hundred's if not thousand's of SQL Pro's willing to help you.
The SSC community has been (and still is) the best mentor I ever had!
And the best part of it: you'll get more than one opinion / option.
I would consider a mentor as an "add-on"...

Lutz
A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question
How to post performance related questions
Links for Tally Table , Cross Tabs and Dynamic Cross Tabs , Delimited Split Function
Post #936339
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 3:35 PM
SSC Journeyman

Because I want to get to know the person and go deep with the topic. Here people may or may not answer and only will work against a small defined problem that won't get me to the level of learning that I am after. I can read books to solve individual select problems, it is those problems that require experience and insight that I am after.
Post #936343
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 4:14 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:28 PM
john-902052 (6/11/2010)
Because I want to get to know the person and go deep with the topic. Here people may or may not answer and only will work against a small defined problem that won't get me to the level of learning that I am after. I can read books to solve individual select problems, it is those problems that require experience and insight that I am after.

I partly agree. I disagree that learning how to solve small defined problems aren't a way to take the skills to the next level.
Insight provided by experienced SQL pro's is something you can get from this site. But I agree, it might not be to the extent you're after, since posts are limited to just written (and sometimes short) explanation. Articles and blogs will be more detailed, but again, "just text".

Lutz
A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question
How to post performance related questions
Links for Tally Table , Cross Tabs and Dynamic Cross Tabs , Delimited Split Function
Post #936355
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 4:14 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, December 31, 2010 9:46 AM
Look for articles/books by Itzik Ben-Gan. He is great with T-SQL (I think's that his entire job ).

I also liked Ken Henderson's stuff, particularly "The Guru's Guide to Transact-SQL". I don't know if/what the latest release/version of this is.

Finally, search the net for "T-SQL challenges", try coding them -- before reading their solution(s) of course .

If you want a quick simple SQL not T-SQL challenge, try this:

A studentgrade table has one row per student and test. Each student may have taken anywhere from 0 to 3 (never more) tests.
studentgrade --> (studid int, test# int, score int)

Write a single query -- no subqueries, joins, CTEs, etc. -- that lists:

studentid
# of tests taken
hi score (if only one test, it shows here)
mid score (if only two tests, 2nd shows here; if only one test, will be null)
low score (will only be non-null if all 3 tests are found for that student)

Scott Pletcher, SQL Server MVP 2008-2010
Post #936356
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 4:31 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

I don't like those challenges because they teach the wrong thing. There are many times where the resolution of a problem using a single query is just flat out the wrong thing to do for scalability and/or performance.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #936358
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 4:33 PM

SSC-Dedicated

john-902052 (6/11/2010)

There is a huge difference between an occasional mentor and a private instructor.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #936359
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 4:35 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, December 31, 2010 9:46 AM
I would think in this situation a single query would be the most efficient. I/O (physical and logical) are the real culprit in performance more than 90% of the time.

Although of course it's also a challenge, so the idea is to think a little about everything you have available in a single query.

This not a killer challenge -- it requires some thought, but it's not a back-breaker.

Scott Pletcher, SQL Server MVP 2008-2010
Post #936361
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse