Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Securing Reporting Services Reports Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, June 6, 2014 7:41 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Securing Reporting Services Reports
Post #923253
Posted Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:07 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 8:09 AM
Good article, I too had to do something similar but the approach I took was to apply the SSRS security and also create a report that queried the security setup on the reports indicating whether the user had access or not. That way the security can still be managed easily using the SSRS security but also gave the customer a 1 stop shop at seeing what reports there are and what they do and don't have access too...
Post #923330
Posted Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:12 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 1:33 AM
I used a similar approach to restrict the data that sales reps could see, and limit them to their accounts only.
Post #923392
Posted Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:22 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, October 3, 2014 8:06 AM
I normally use SP to restrict what user can and can't see, by passing the user ID as parameter from the SSRS report. The soluting in this article is another way to control the report and user interaction. nice one.
Post #923397
Posted Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:45 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 2:31 AM
I have developed a SSRS project, and checked the preview and working fine.

When I tried to deploy that project at the end it is asking for login and passwords, I dont know which login and password to provide. I have tries to provide my domain account and password, sa password and different ways.

But at last it is showing you are not authorized to view this page.

I have set the url in report properties as http://localhost/reports.

Any help regarding this issue.

Thanks and Regards!!

Raghavender Chavva
Post #923474
Posted Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:49 AM
SSC Rookie

Hi
That looks to me like the credentials of the datasource you published. You can (1) edit the datasource and lock down some credentials on the Report Server or (2) prompt for the credentials and ensure you users have sufficient user/pass access to the data. If you're on Active Directory then you can also use that.

Far to much to discuss here - lots of options - pro's and cons to all.
Post #923478
Posted Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:56 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 9:29 AM
Just out of curiosity, what keeps a user who is not allowed to view a report from sending another username via a URL, or via some other method? As in the following http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms155391.aspx?PHPSESSID=ca9tbhkv7klmem4g3b2ru2q4d4.

It seems to me this security model is rather easy to bypass. Additionally, it increases the time it takes to maintain the security (having to enter a user in AD and then again in you table). I don't believe it's one I would recommend.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this

For better help with performance problems please read this
Post #923484
Posted Tuesday, May 18, 2010 6:30 AM
SSC Rookie

My preferred method to block user's from seeing other peoples data - especially sales and financial data, is using AD logins on the report server. The AD policy forces password changes regularly so its not that easy for others to get in with "other" credentials. My end-users are generally quite IT illiterate so I depend on AD to lock them down and keep out of each others figures. So far its worked well.

But yes, if one of them had to "steal" or guess a login then they would get in to that users data. Same goes for their email or windows profile and documents. Worst case (on SSRS) they get to see one other user's sales figures. The data source they're connecting through is using fixed credentials, with execute on a single SP, so that should be secure enough to block a "hacker" from getting further than that result set.

I didn't want to give them too many user names and passwords to fill in as it does mean more support work for their IT department.

///EDIT///
I see what youre getting at Luke, in the ERP/Financial systems I am reporting on I will capture the AD login of the user against the resources/accounts/items/GL Accounts. In the query/SP that returns the report data, I filter the USERID.VALUE against that "hard coded" login.
When they login to SSRS with their AD login, I use that as a parameter and only return their records.
Post #923510
Posted Tuesday, May 18, 2010 6:35 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 2:31 AM
[b]Hi
That looks to me like the credentials of the datasource you published. You can (1) edit the datasource and lock down some credentials on the Report Server or (2) prompt for the credentials and ensure you users have sufficient user/pass access to the data. If you're on Active Directory then you can also use that.

Far to much to discuss here - lots of options - pro's and cons to all.[\b]

I have tried to Edit the datasource credentials, tried 3 types but no use, still its asking for credentials when I am deploying the project.

Thanks and Regards!!

Raghavender Chavva
Post #923512
Posted Tuesday, May 18, 2010 6:38 AM
SSC Rookie

My apologies - I misunderstood - I thought you meant when executing a report. When deploying that would be credentials of a user that is allowed to publish on the server. Usually a reportserver\admin account, or, sql server sysadmin account, or or whichever accounts have been granted publisher rights are required.
Post #923519
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse