Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Training for Managers Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:39 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Training for Managers

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #916631
Posted Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:05 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:46 PM
Something that people either aren't aware of or have forgotten... the option of in-house training by the resident experts is a powerful tool that's frequently over looked. It also builds "esprit de corps" and also helps the resident experts because you do have to know your stuff to teach it.

I used Lunch'n'Learns a lot in the last couple of companies. You'll be amazed at the kind of performance you can get out of people for the price of a couple of pizzas, some soda, and a nice salad. It's real good practice for those making the presentations and it looks awesome on a resume, as well.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #916660
Posted Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:22 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:16 AM
One more thing, give training / education and development of your people will also increase happiness. Most people want to move on and move forward in their personal development and other people knowing of the investment of the people in the company will value that as will other people when they look for some new place to go to.
Post #916701
Posted Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:47 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, August 11, 2014 1:55 AM
I've always believed that at least two out of the following need to be present for a person to be happy in their job:
- money
- learning
- interest

If you have a good salary and you're doing something you like then you're comfortable at present
If you're doing something you like and you're learning a lot then you're working towards your future
If you're learning and earning a lot then you're working towards your future and comfortable(-ish) at present

I think it's good for managers to look at what they should be offering you in this context since they'll know the level of salary you're getting, how much training/development you're getting and how much you enjoy the role. If your staff are only getting one out of three things, then adding one of the others should be pretty easy to do and it removes another reason why they might consider leaving.
Post #916755
Posted Thursday, May 6, 2010 5:55 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, August 14, 2014 12:18 PM
"The only thing worse than training everyone and having some of them leave is not training any of them and having them all stay."
--Zig Ziglar

Post #916835
Posted Thursday, May 6, 2010 6:19 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 1:58 PM
This seems like the "solution" editorial to some of the recent ones.

One thing I would like to see managers trained in is recognizing different types of teams. You can have lower skilled people who provide quick and dirty solutions, or higher skilled that build more solid code. Either team can keep your company profitable, but you need to know which one you have, which one you want and how to manage for it. (Obviously there are more varieties and I'm leaving out details.)

I prefer a team of mixed skills. It allows for mentoring as part of your training and can better adjust to changes.
Post #916855
Posted Thursday, May 6, 2010 6:55 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:05 PM
Right on Steve! Training always increases your employee's potential impact in the company, and if you ever start to think that one untrained individual employee is just too small to impact your business, then just try going to sleep when there is a mosquito in the room.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #916899
Posted Thursday, May 6, 2010 6:56 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:58 PM
stephanie.sullivan (5/6/2010)
I've always believed that at least two out of the following need to be present for a person to be happy in their job:
- money
- learning
- interest

If you have a good salary and you're doing something you like then you're comfortable at present
If you're doing something you like and you're learning a lot then you're working towards your future
If you're learning and earning a lot then you're working towards your future and comfortable(-ish) at present

I think it's good for managers to look at what they should be offering you in this context since they'll know the level of salary you're getting, how much training/development you're getting and how much you enjoy the role. If your staff are only getting one out of three things, then adding one of the others should be pretty easy to do and it removes another reason why they might consider leaving.
Well said, very concise.

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #916901
Posted Thursday, May 6, 2010 7:39 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:39 PM
AspiringGeek-40457 (5/6/2010)
"The only thing worse than training everyone and having some of them leave is not training any of them and having them all stay."
--Zig Ziglar

Excellent! I'm going to have to remember that quote.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #916957
Posted Thursday, May 6, 2010 10:06 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:59 AM
As a manager, your job is to get the most productivity that you can from your group. Training is an investment that helps you achieve that aim. Some employees might feel they are worth more money once they are trained, but is that bad? If they are more productive, more skilled, aren't they worth more money? After all, a better trained employee should get more work done, or at least make less mistakes. If they do that, they should be producing more money for the company, so I would think that they would then be more valuable to your department.

I like this paragraph. When one neglects training for the staff due to fear of them leaving, that is managing through fear. That type of management will seep into more facets of management and start to be viewed by more and more of the employees. Why manage through fear? That doesn't invoke any better productivity or will to stay

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #917175
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse