Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Good Enough Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 7:48 AM
wldhrs (5/6/2010)
Edited ... oops curly { on a url doesn't make it look like a url :-(

Jeff, you're sounding (reading?) almost as jaded as I am.

Heh... if you mean tired of the deprecation and removal of useful features in favor of pretty GUI's that have a 10th of the functionality then yeah... I'm real jaded.

... and sql server are going to have the best marketing around 'cos I've sure as hell invested a lot of my life in what I consider a technically very good set of solutions...

Spot on and ditto... I couldn't have said it better myself. Let's hope we don't go the way of the Dodo bird (or is that the DOH! bird ) and the FoxPro programmer.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #918704
Posted Monday, May 10, 2010 11:27 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 8:41 AM
The more tools you have in your toolbelt the better off you will be.

Regarding the making simple things simpler...sometimes that can be useful, but other times not. Using the tool analogy, if I have a shingle to replace on my roof, I am going to use a razor knife, a hammer (the manual kind) and a regular roofing nail, if I have a new roof to install I am going to use more automation ( a nail or staple gun loaded with all the hardware I need) to do the simple thing over and over.

Regarding hiding the complexity, I agree completely. There are many times I recall having trouble getting far enough into a hidden complex task that would have been easier to do the hard way because at least that way I knew how it worked and why it worked.
Post #919208
Posted Monday, May 10, 2010 8:22 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 7:48 AM
dbowlin (5/10/2010)

There is such a thing as carrying too many tools on your "toolbelt" and has the same effect if you can imagine a plumber bent over under the sink.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #919396
Posted Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:37 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 12:07 PM
Jeff Moden (5/10/2010)
dbowlin (5/10/2010)

There is such a thing as carrying too many tools on your "toolbelt" and has the same effect if you can imagine a plumber bent over under the sink.

But i NEED my laser guided beta beam dissasembler...

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #919597
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse