Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

What is the value of SCOPE_IDENTITY() Expand / Collapse
Author
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, September 2, 2011 3:22 AM
An excellent question! - Thank you!
Post #906380
Posted Monday, April 19, 2010 3:49 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, July 22, 2011 7:33 AM
You're welcome! It gave me a headache one day trying to debug an application, so I thought I'd post the question.

I've learned a great deal from this forum. It's amazing to me how even a simple question can generate a great discussion. That's why I keep coming back.
Post #906388
Posted Monday, April 19, 2010 10:20 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:20 PM
Given the number of inconsistencies and bugs, I'd be quite happy to see @@IDENTITY and SCOPE_IDENTITY removed from the product. I very much prefer the OUTPUT clause for this purpose.

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/328811/scope-identity-sometimes-returns-incorrect-value

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #906491
Posted Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:59 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 4, 2014 2:33 AM
Hugo Kornelis (4/19/2010)
Tough question. We can't really look in the minds of the developers who originally wrote the feature, so we can only speculate.

Very true

And frankly, I see little reason to do an INSERT with an IDENTITY, and then first do another INSERT before testing SCOPE_IDENTITY, ...

Yes, it is a strange thing to do in the first place.

Given the similarlty to @@IDENTITY pointed out elsewhere in this discussion, that might very well even be the originally intended behaviour.

Agreed, given that the documentation for @@IDENTITY is quite clear on this it's odd (at the very least) that it's not covered in the SCOPE_IDENTITY docs.

--
Nigel
Useful Links:
How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table - Jeff Moden

Post #906603
Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:52 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, July 5, 2010 10:56 PM
nice question
Post #935204
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse