Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Differential Backup Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:29 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, December 20, 2013 9:25 AM
I agree with Gail, but diff backup takes almost same time and space as full backup again it depends. Personally i would prefer full back every night and log backup once every hour, with SQL 2008 compression you will save lot of space on full backups.

EnjoY!

EnjoY!
Post #863718
Posted Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:25 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, February 11, 2013 8:27 AM
GT-897544 (2/10/2010)
I agree with Gail, but diff backup takes almost same time and space as full backup again it depends. Personally i would prefer full back every night and log backup once every hour, with SQL 2008 compression you will save lot of space on full backups.

EnjoY!

I don't agree with you on the time taken for a diff backup. The time taken perform a Diff backup will be far lower than the time taken perform a Full backup. Since the differential backup backups only the changes since the last full backup it would be only backing up those modifications.

If there is a DB which is 450 GB (grown over a period of 2 years), and there are changes worth 1 GB for each day, the daily Diff backup will be of the size of that much (1 GB) on day one and tends to grow, since diff backups are cumulative. At any point it would be still be lower than the full backup.

And regarding, log backups every one hour, that needs to decided by the amount of data modifications since the transaction log file will keep increasing without log backups.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.com\LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty
Post #863737
Posted Saturday, February 13, 2010 5:45 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:20 AM
Thanks to all for their valuable update.
So what I understand is Differential backup is important but not hard and fast. What is important is your log backup must be at regular frequency as per your database size which will not only help to minimise the log file space on drive but also smallest the file, quickest to resote
Also if required apply differential backup if full backup is taking too much cost of disk I/O and taking time...

----------
Ashish
Post #865076
Posted Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:28 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:53 AM
ashish.kuriyal (2/13/2010)
What is important is your log backup must be at regular frequency as per your database size

Frequency of log backups is not related to DB size. It's related to DB activity and the maximum amount of data that the business is willing to lose in a disaster.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #865117
Posted Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:33 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:20 AM
100% true... was isolated to my environment

----------
Ashish
Post #865123
Posted Monday, February 15, 2010 1:48 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, December 20, 2013 9:25 AM
Bru Medishetty (2/10/2010)
GT-897544 (2/10/2010)

EnjoY!

I don't agree with you on the time taken for a diff backup. The time taken perform a Diff backup will be far lower than the time taken perform a Full backup. Since the differential backup backups only the changes since the last full backup it would be only backing up those modifications.

If there is a DB which is 450 GB (grown over a period of 2 years), and there are changes worth 1 GB for each day, the daily Diff backup will be of the size of that much (1 GB) on day one and tends to grow, since diff backups are cumulative. At any point it would be still be lower than the full backup.

And regarding, log backups every one hour, that needs to decided by the amount of data modifications since the transaction log file will keep increasing without log backups.

I Knew that, but diff backup takes almost same time and space as full backup again it depends (I was refereing if it was almost same size).

EnjoY!
Post #865704
Posted Monday, February 15, 2010 2:19 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, February 11, 2013 8:27 AM
GT-897544 (2/15/2010)
Bru Medishetty (2/10/2010)
GT-897544 (2/10/2010)

EnjoY!

I Knew that, but diff backup takes almost same time and space as full backup again it depends (I was refereing if it was almost same size).

I had never seen a differential backup (worth a 7 days of data) being equal in size with the full backup size.. Can you quote under what conditions would that be equal (with respect to the scenario I mentioned or with your own example)

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.com\LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty
Post #865717
Posted Monday, February 15, 2010 11:30 PM

SSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
If your differential backup is almost the same size and takes almost the same amount of time, then almost your entire database is getting updated in between. If you are experiencing htis, then you have soemthing wrong with your system or you're not taking the backups frequently enough.

What is the backup schedule?

My blog: SQL Soldier
Twitter: @SQLSoldier
My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
Principal DBA: Outerwall, Inc.
Also available for consulting: SQL DBA Master
Post #865863
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse