Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

What is StreamInsight and why does it matter? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, January 23, 2010 2:24 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, April 28, 2014 3:12 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item What is StreamInsight and why does it matter?
Post #852619
Posted Monday, January 25, 2010 4:20 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, October 8, 2014 12:34 PM
Let's discuss the price for a moment -
60k per CPU?
These prices make sure that small companies that will once grow big (say, Facebook, Twitter few years back) will never consider SQL Server as a solution.
In the long-run, MS loses more popularity to free/open source (or at least cheaper) solutions.

Even for those who can live without the "Enterprise" features, but need a true scale-out solution can't work with these licensing models...

my 2c

Post #852913
Posted Monday, January 25, 2010 5:43 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

I believe the price of 60k per CPU is more aimed at Financial Companies using StreamInsight for algorithmic trading. It should be compared to other CEP vendors prices. There are actually a few Open Source CEP-platforms, but I don't know about their quality.

About SQL Server pricing in general, I agree it's an issue, but it's a bit outside the topic of this thread.

/Johan

Adi@Wrk (1/25/2010)
Let's discuss the price for a moment -
60k per CPU?
These prices make sure that small companies that will once grow big (say, Facebook, Twitter few years back) will never consider SQL Server as a solution.
In the long-run, MS loses more popularity to free/open source (or at least cheaper) solutions.

Even for those who can live without the "Enterprise" features, but need a true scale-out solution can't work with these licensing models...

my 2c

Post #852935
Posted Monday, January 25, 2010 6:13 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, October 8, 2014 12:34 PM
Agreed.
It somehow caught my eye while reading the article.
Post #852950
Posted Monday, January 25, 2010 1:10 PM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:50 AM
BI = Data warehouse

The giveaway is at the end of the article. In the real world data always has conformity issues. If it is not cleaned and matched against reference data, your results will always be problematic.

Sorry to see M$ charge down the same blind alley that Oracle BI, Business objects etc have already foundered in.

I guess if you really need near real time data this could be the bees knees. Otherwise no.
Post #853258
Posted Monday, January 25, 2010 1:20 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:24 PM
Thanks for the article discussing this product from MS. PriceTag is hefty - and to some would only be pocketchange. Difficult price to manage for some. Then on the flipside - does the product offer some intangible cost savings that would offset the per cpu price tag?

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #853271
Posted Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:16 AM
Grasshopper

I agree the price tag is hefty. Personally I'd prefer if StreamInsight was available as a separate license. Now it's bundled with SQL Server Datacenter Edition, which has a lot of enterprise features that I doubt StreamInsight users require.

With this pricing, Microsoft has limited StreamInsight to only high-end customers.

CirquedeSQLeil (1/25/2010)
Thanks for the article discussing this product from MS. PriceTag is hefty - and to some would only be pocketchange. Difficult price to manage for some. Then on the flipside - does the product offer some intangible cost savings that would offset the per cpu price tag?
Post #853428
Posted Friday, September 9, 2011 5:16 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, May 1, 2014 4:19 AM
Bit of a stale thread but I thought it might be worth updating that StreamInsight is available in all editions other than express.
Post #1172400
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse