Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Help Others, Help Yourself Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, January 20, 2010 6:50 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, November 24, 2014 3:43 AM
Hi there,

First of all i'll like to say that i complettly agree with your article, i've been helped so many times in this public forums, that now, a little bit more experienced, i feel that's time to give something back, and help others who seek for help.

José cruz
Post #850444
Posted Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:02 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Saturday, December 13, 2014 9:58 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Tim. This theme came up a bunch at the last PASS conference and I really appreciate that the community is so willing to share their expertise. It's always amazing when you shoot out a tweet for help and get responses from all sorts of people who are willing to help. It's also great reading about the experiences others have had when using SQL so we can learn from what they did.

I think I've tended to do this face to face, but find it harder to do online for some reason. That's one of my goals for this year - to blog weekly about something that could help other people. I also want to get involved in the PASS VC's, so I hope to see people around there.

Post #850456
Posted Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:07 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 9:13 AM
That was exactly my thinking when I started answering questions here. My thinking was that I was going to learn more by trying to figure out the answers to people's problems than I would by just reading the answers that other people post.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #850461
Posted Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:30 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, October 20, 2014 1:11 PM
That is exactly the message we need in the U. S. of A. Not just to technical people, also to the entire company from CEO to clerk, who work with technical people. "I am not technical" is not a good excuse in the land of USA, no matter you are a manager.

Jason
http://dbace.us
Post #850480
Posted Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:35 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, January 17, 2014 1:33 PM
Great article Tim! Inspiring even.

Thank you for your contribution!
Post #850487
Posted Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:19 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:53 AM
Thank You, I needed to be assured this morning that world is not completley gone crazy, there are people who think about "Helping other and being Helped at the same time". I had been studying and practicing Access, Databases, Data Modeling, SQL, SQL Development, SQL Servers' capabilities, through books, online videos and audios for the last two years, I have found it really helps to understand and enhanced your own skills, when you are trying to explain and show to others.
Thanks again... a wonderful editorial..
Post #850532
Posted Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:55 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:47 AM
Just to put another spin on the subject that was raised about how people should not be providing free advice on a forum during work hours. My boss expects us to spend time doing "Training and Development" and that encompasses following/responding to forum issues. Of course, the time spent on this activity would need to be within reason, but there is an understanding that activities like this are key to our development. Again, just adding a different angle to a very valid point.

Lisa
Post #850561
Posted Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:14 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
LSAdvantage (1/20/2010)
Just to put another spin on the subject that was raised about how people should not be providing free advice on a forum during work hours. My boss expects us to spend time doing "Training and Development" and that encompasses following/responding to forum issues. Of course, the time spent on this activity would need to be within reason, but there is an understanding that activities like this are key to our development. Again, just adding a different angle to a very valid point.

Lisa

Wow! Your boss lets you spend working hours answering questions on forums like this and you get paid for this as well? Man! Where do I sign up for that kind of work? :)

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #850577
Posted Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:21 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:47 AM
talltop-969015 (1/20/2010)
LSAdvantage (1/20/2010)

Lisa

Wow! Your boss lets you spend working hours answering questions on forums like this and you get paid for this as well? Man! Where do I sign up for that kind of work? :)

Yeah...it is a pretty sweet gig here. And we get to work from home to boot...... OK, back to work now!!
Post #850583
Posted Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:25 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 9:13 AM
My previous boss expected me to spend time (within reason) on the forums. He considered it an investment, His reasoning was that it was 'free' training for me (training that didn't have to come out of his training budget) and also, if I saw problems on the forum then if we encountered them in our environment I'd be able to fix them way faster than I would if I hadn't seen them on the forums.

I think that he also liked that didn't ask for (demand) formal training courses as many of the others did. Personally I find them a waste of time.

These days I'm a consultant, hence no fixed hours. If I spend 5 hours on the forums one day it's 5 hours that I won't get paid for and, if there's work that needs doing, it's 5 hours that I'll have to make up somehow.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #850587
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse