Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

SQL Server Management Studio and SQL Azure Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:08 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:55 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server Management Studio and SQL Azure
Post #831191
Posted Wednesday, December 9, 2009 3:49 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:12 AM
By the way, you can use SQL Server 2008 R2 (CTP) where the SQL Server Management Studio works with Azure (without having to use workarounds)
Download it here http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/R2Downloads.aspx
Post #831269
Posted Wednesday, December 9, 2009 5:53 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:55 AM
This topic is changing fast. I fully expect this article to be out of date in a year from now. Windows 7 will work with SQL Azure SDK too for example.
Post #831310
Posted Wednesday, December 9, 2009 5:54 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:33 AM
I'm not sure where the "only works with Vista and Windows Server 2008" statement comes from. SQL Azure connectivity is working fine from my Windows 7 client.
Post #831311
Posted Wednesday, December 9, 2009 6:13 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:42 PM
This is not meant to be a criticism as I don't know when the article was written, but at least with the latest CTP, you can connect to SQL Azure using Windows XP as well. I have connected using SSMS and the Sync Framework. Azure is definitely more interesting and usable than I had thought it would be. The tools aren't there yet, but they are coming. Here's an interesting blog post by Jamie Thomson

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #831324
Posted Wednesday, December 9, 2009 6:47 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 11:46 AM
This article was written about a month ago, and my guess is the author did not have Win 7 at the time. Many of the articles written will age quickly as technology changes, so adding those comments is not very helpful and a little snide.

If you want to provide information, please feel free to do so, but denigrating someone's work isn't very professional and inappropriate on these forums.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Post #831352
Posted Wednesday, December 9, 2009 7:58 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:32 PM
I'm curious to know if anyone is using Azure actively in a production environment yet. I don't really have any intention of moving to it right now, just like to keep up on what's out there and available in case the need ever arises.

I like the availability anywhere component. Granted I have a laptop and could get to my DB's anywhere as well but of course it requires logon to my VPN.

I was reading yesterday about some of the limitations of Azure (for example, no filestream or geospatial capabilities) and I'm also wondering if those are big enough drawbacks for people not to adopt.

Just hopefully fostering good discussion.

The distance between genius and insanity is measured only by success.
Post #831425
Posted Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:20 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 11:46 AM
AFAIK, Azure is beta now. I'm sure there are some people using it, but it should go live, and start to cost $$ in Jan 2010

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Post #831451
Posted Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:27 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:12 AM
Yes, AFAIK billing begins in Jan 2010 - but actual financial transactions wont happen till Feb 2010.
The one month period I believe is to flush out the billing/monitoring and other infrastructure bits being Azure
Post #831461
Posted Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:56 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:32 PM
Apologies. I've been hearing and reading so much about it, thought it was live already.

The distance between genius and insanity is measured only by success.
Post #831506
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse