Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

All-in-one Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:37 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:06 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item All-in-one

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #828615
Posted Friday, December 4, 2009 4:51 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 3:32 AM
I'm with you on the Notepad/Word thing!

As for SSMS, I have two instances of that open at once. One is setup for browsing around databases, jobs, SSIS packages etc, and the other is setup as basically a glorified Query Analyser. The QA version sits on my left-hand side monitor, while the other one is on my right-hand side monitor. This mimics how I used to work with Enterprise Mangler and Query Analyser back before we upgraded to 2008.

Not sure that really answers your question though.
Post #828753
Posted Friday, December 4, 2009 5:04 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, February 4, 2011 7:20 AM
I think I prefer to have more smaller tools. The article made me ask myself why I still use SQL Server 2000 QA for most of my work. I think that when I can't identify what toolbar buttons do without hovering over them, I'm probably less productive.

Tom Garth
Vertical Solutions

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
Post #828760
Posted Friday, December 4, 2009 5:09 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:25 AM
As with most things in my life, I prefer a simpler tool that does ONE thing, but does it very well. I'm not looking for the 67 tools in some magical Swiss Army knife. In fact the pocket knife I carry around has but a single solitary blade. Buck Knives, made BEFORE they started shipping their manufacturing to China.

I don't want a combination snowblower, weed-whacker, lawnmower, and juicer.. a tool that does several jobs only marginally will only irritate me.

Same thing for computer programs. I'd love for Word to have the option of disabling parts of it. These monstrous sized programs are designed to eliminate the need for other programs, but they don't do any one particular thing VERY well.

Same concept behind my heavy duty diesel truck, my comfy sedan, my wife's road rocket, and my motorcycle... The proper tool...

Honor Super Omnia-
Jason Miller
Post #828763
Posted Friday, December 4, 2009 5:37 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, February 14, 2014 3:35 AM
I'm with you on the frustration from "sometimes it works this way, sometimes it works that way" resulting from merged applications. Worse, the application "remembers" what you used last and presumes that to be how you wish to work again. So for beginners like me, it is a constant search for methods in a thick forest of options.
Post #828778
Posted Friday, December 4, 2009 5:39 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 4:56 AM
I generally prefer several smaller tools that do jobs really well. Take for example type ahead. It's built into SSMS, but it stinks. Get a copy of Red Gate SQL Prompt and live in heaven. Other examples that come to mind, we have SCOM monitoring our servers, but getting it to do some of the detailed drill down on SQL Server is a pain in the buttocks, enter Idera's Diagnostic Manager. It doesn't do all the stuff SCOM does, but it does a few things very well. I could keep going, but I think the point is made. After all, you're probably reading this with a web browser. Why? You can open web pages inside Visual Studio, one less app on the old desktop. No? Too big? Too slow to open you say? Question answered.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #828779
Posted Friday, December 4, 2009 5:54 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:49 AM
For my personal use, I don't have a problem with everything combined. However, I have corporate responsibility for creating installation packages for application users needing the management tools and developers needing BIDS. In the past, I could extract the client installation portion from the installation DVD and only supply that to whomever needed it. With SQL Server 2008, I need to supply the entire installation DVD to anyone needing only BIDS or SSMS. Since we us MVLS software with embedded keys, I have to surround the supplied installation software with a package that does not allow the installer access to more than they need because of licensing concerns. It can be done but is a real hassle and we still need to move huge amounts of unneeded software around to various locations.

I would very much like to see the various tools in separate install packages.

Post #828791
Posted Friday, December 4, 2009 5:58 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:12 PM
This makes me think of Anton Chigurh's quote from No Country for Old Men "That's foolish. You pick the one right tool."
Post #828796
Posted Friday, December 4, 2009 6:15 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, February 14, 2014 3:35 AM
No Country for Old Men "That's foolish. You pick the one right tool."
First, I resemble that remark! I've recently done a five year stint as a requirements analyst. It's all about communication. The first decision as an analyst is "choose the tool to capture this requirement." Text, database entry, spreadsheet, document, discussion, laundry list . . . The tool constricts subsequent options, but also focuses the analysis.
Perhaps this applies here also - efficiency says you remove screws with a screwdriver, nails with a nail puller, either with a shotgun.
Post #828809
Posted Friday, December 4, 2009 6:25 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:25 AM
2New2Guru (12/4/2009)
efficiency says you remove screws with a screwdriver, nails with a nail puller, either with a shotgun.

I'd prefer to use a Dillon Aero...

Honor Super Omnia-
Jason Miller
Post #828822
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse