Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Microsoft Business Intelligence Project Booster Kit Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, March 13, 2011 4:45 AM
Serious Apollogies Jamie !
Post #825515
Posted Tuesday, December 1, 2009 9:01 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:54 AM
SBS-291204 (11/24/2009)
Mate, I think you'll find Jamie Thomson is a man... unless he's not telling us something?

Actually, I think that you'll find that Jamie Thomson is THE Man, especially when it comes to helping people getting started with BIDS and SSIS...

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Post #826766
Posted Saturday, December 19, 2009 4:05 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, February 21, 2014 2:03 AM
Hi Siddarth,

Thanks for a very interesting article!

In the list of tools I would suggest something that most BI developer forget, although it might save them lots of time, certainly for SSIS projects and to a lesser extend for SSAS / SSRS projects (depending of the complexity): Source Version Control. After all, even if we are strictly speaking no software developers, we build custom tailored systems for our customers and the same development rules should apply.

Since most projects I've seen so far imply a single developer or a very small team per project, I've been searching the web for some cheap, or even better, free Source Version Control tools. I've found and recently tested a pair of open source and freely downloadable tools allowing to set up basic Version Control:
TortoiseSVN, a Windows Shell extension and AnkhSVN, a plug-in for Visual Studio. They just take a few minutes to install and, at first use, 1/2 a day to get started with the concept. Once used to work with it, you'll soon ask yourself how you could ever miss it!

Luc Magnée
MCTS BI
Antwerp - Belgium
Post #836787
Posted Saturday, December 19, 2009 5:49 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Sunday, March 13, 2011 4:45 AM
Thanks for your feedback. I am intending to come up with the next part of Booster Kit as Booster Kit - Part II. I have know this tool when I used to work with DotNet years back, but have not used it much. I have used TFS and VSS. I would give this a try, and if I find it as good as you described, I would definitely include it in my list.
Post #836795
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse