Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Use expression value as column name in same query again Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:27 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, March 4, 2010 12:19 AM
I want to Use expression value as column name in same query again

For eg:

select productname, (uprice+sprice) As pprice, CASE WHEN IsNull(pprice) Then '0' Else pprice End As pprice2 from products where active=1, productname is not null

Here pprice is the value I am calculating and want to be able to refer it in the same query without having to write the calculation again. This is just a simple example but the actual calculated column is complicated and very long and it makes it very difficult to debug if I have to use the same code again and again. Is there a cleaner way to do this in same query?

Post #821250
Posted Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:43 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:24 PM
Please don't cross-post.

conversation is already ongoing over here:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost821231.aspx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Post #821258
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse