Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Strategic Advice for Unique Requirement Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:16 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:23 PM
Hi Experts,

I have a very unique requirement and I need some advice on the best strategy to tackle it. I have 5 tables with a combined data of about 358 million rows (22GB). out of those 5 tables, 1 of them (2GB) is actively queried. I need to consolidate all 5 tables into one table that would be queried from time to time. Here is what I think should be done i.e. my ideas

-Consolidate the other 4 (non queried table) first into one table
-Move the 5th active table data to this new table

Are there better ways to achieve this? What about locking on the actively queried table when moving data? Would I really need to partition (date range) the 22GB data or indexes would do just fine for querying?

Any suggestions from you experts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Post #802957
Posted Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:34 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
May I ask what is the rationale behind such a consolidation project?

The most active/queried to-be-consolidated table represents less than 10% of total data volume... why would somebody add to this table ten times more data that is not normally needed?

From the performance point-of-view this looks to me like creating a proble in a place where there are no problems; in short, if it's not broken - don't try to fix it

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #849797
Posted Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:33 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 3:10 PM
I agree that this seems like an effort in the wrong direction. Consolidating these tables, based on limited information, does not seem to be a good idea.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #849860
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse