Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Reporting Services - Solving a 401 Error Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:23 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:56 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Reporting Services - Solving a 401 Error

Post #799722
Posted Thursday, October 8, 2009 2:24 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, February 4, 2011 1:50 AM
Hi,

Can I use similar procedure for SQL server 2005 SSRS?

Regards,
Kiran

Kiran Gajendragadkar

Tech Mahindra bangalore
Post #799775
Posted Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:00 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

This only applies to SSRS 2008. SSRS 2005 uses IIS, therefore these options would be set there. shoot me an email at pleblanc@tsqlscripts.com if you need help.

Post #799835
Posted Thursday, October 8, 2009 6:46 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:44 AM
You mentioned at the bottom of this article that you had some other problems with .net applications and the SSRS web service. I have just upgraded to 2008 and we are having some problems with rendering a report from a .net application. We have found that the wsdl reference is different and the methods are also different. We now have it working from within VisualStudio. But, when we try to run the application under IIS we get the following error Message : Client found response content type of '', but expected 'text/xml'. Any ideas?
Post #799945
Posted Thursday, October 8, 2009 9:34 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, August 8, 2014 1:35 PM
This is a very good upgrade article but why it was named "Solving a 401 error" ?

Regards,
Yelena Varshal

Post #800116
Posted Thursday, October 8, 2009 10:17 AM
SSC Veteran

ERROR: Client found response content type of '', but expected 'text/xml'.

We did encounter this error. You have to ensure that your proxy or application is referencing the correct webservice. We refreshed the Web service and the error was resolved. Hope this helps.

Post #800167
Posted Thursday, October 8, 2009 10:18 AM
SSC Veteran

Thanks. It was named that way because if you do not follow all the steps you will encounter a 401. We maybe should have added something about upgrading in the title. Thanks for the comment.

Post #800168
Posted Friday, October 9, 2009 4:41 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:15 PM
Hi there,
For a long time I struggled with 401 type Auth errors with my SRS 2005 installation. After many unsuccessful approaches I found the issue in my case was caused a slipstream server installation on Windows Server 2003 with SP2.
With this type of installation the default authentication providers for IIS websites were turned off.

To fix this I had to manually enter the provider in the Metabase.xml file located in the \system32\inetsrv folder.

Here is an example of what I had to do to fix the problem....
<IIsWebVirtualDir Location ="/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/ReportServer"
AccessFlags="AccessRead"
AppFriendlyName="Report Server"
AppIsolated="2"
AppRoot="/LM/W3SVC/1/Root/ReportServer"
AspAllowSessionState="TRUE"
AspBufferingOn="TRUE"
AspEnableParentPaths="FALSE"
AspScriptLanguage="VBScript"
AuthFlags="AuthNTLM"
DirBrowseFlags="DirBrowseShowDate | DirBrowseShowTime | DirBrowseShowSize | DirBrowseShowExtension | DirBrowseShowLongDate | EnableDefaultDoc"
NTAuthenticationProviders="NTLM"
Path="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\ReportServer"
ScriptMaps="*,C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll,1"

The only piece I had to add was this line: NTAuthenticationProviders="NTLM"

One additional note: To make this change you must first go into Internet serverices mananger Right click at the highest level (server Icon) in the console and choose properties.

Place a check in the box to enable direct metabase edit.

After completeing the process I did an IISreset and voila....weeks of struggling fixed by one little entry.
Post #801123
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse