Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

No catalog entry found for partition ID.... Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, May 24, 2010 2:28 AM

Suggestion:

Change the proc so that the indexes are created after the insert is done. That way the reindex won't be needed and you might get around this problem.

Gail, thanks for your help here too - it's appreciated.

I was wrong. The indexes are added before the temp table is populated. Here's how it goes:

The temp table is created, and indexes added. There's a while loop. Stuff is added into the offending temp table. Then the temp table is reindexed (if you want the SP to fail, that is!), then the temp table is joined on as part of the update of another table. The temp table is truncated at the end of (but still inside) the loop.

So it's possible that the repeated reindexing and truncating is part of the problem. I'll try and have a play with this later.

Post #771009
Posted Friday, August 14, 2009 9:06 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 7:48 AM
How many entries are added to the temp table before the index rebuild? Are they added in index key order? Is there a noticeable difference in perf if the index rebuild is removed?

Paul Randal
CEO, SQLskills.com: Check out SQLskills online training!
Blog:www.SQLskills.com/blogs/paul Twitter: @PaulRandal
SQL MVP, Microsoft RD, Contributing Editor of TechNet Magazine
Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005
Post #771019
Posted Friday, August 14, 2009 9:18 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 11:31 AM
and, if you move the creation of the indexes to after the population, do you still get this error? If not, that's possibly a good workaround. It also means you're not getting the overhead of updating indexes while the table's been populated.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #771031
Posted Friday, August 14, 2009 10:04 AM

SSCrazy

Consensus (without proving it yet) is that this looks like a bug. Do you want to push for a hotfix if that turns out to be the case? If so you'll need to call in to Product Support and they'll pick it up. if not, they'll at least investigate and confirm, and then get it into the next release.

Thanks

Paul Randal
Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005
Post #771084
Posted Friday, August 14, 2009 2:20 PM

SSCrazy

Ok - this has now been proven to be a bug inside MS, with a simple repro. Alex - let me know if you want to push for a hotfix for this and I'll give you the internal bug number that's been opened that you can use when you call PSS (and some high-level names to add to make sure you get the correct response).

Thanks for posting about this (and Gail, thanks for pulling me in).

Paul Randal
Post #771318
Posted Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:34 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Paul Randal (8/14/2009)
Ok - this has now been proven to be a bug inside MS, with a simple repro. Alex - let me know if you want to push for a hotfix for this and I'll give you the internal bug number that's been opened that you can use when you call PSS (and some high-level names to add to make sure you get the correct response).

Thanks for your help. I'm away now for a few weeks. I've left all the details (including your message above) with my colleagues, and they may take you up on this offer. Failing that, I'll get onto it upon my return.

Thanks for your help here, it's been great!

Cheers,
Alex.
Post #771466
Posted Tuesday, September 8, 2009 2:27 AM
Grasshopper

Paul Randal (8/14/2009)

Thanks for posting about this (and Gail, thanks for pulling me in).

Paul,

That internal bug number would be handy - we're going to go for a hotfix. I've sent you an email - you could reply to that or post the number here, whatever is more convenient for you.

Thanks for your help here,
Alex.
Post #784045
Posted Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:42 AM

SSCrazy

Hi Alex - one of the Principal Escalation Engineers will be contacting you directly. Thanks

Paul Randal
Post #784398
Posted Sunday, May 23, 2010 12:12 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, September 1, 2014 6:41 AM
So... What happened with this bug? Has it been fixed? I get the same problem when rebuilding a temp table in a SP.
Post #926543
Posted Sunday, May 23, 2010 11:34 PM
Grasshopper

henrik.litsne (5/23/2010)
So... What happened with this bug? Has it been fixed? I get the same problem when rebuilding a temp table in a SP.

Microsoft can't be bothered to fix it in 2005 because it's too close to end of life or not important enough or something, but have said that it'll go out in a future sp for 2008 (and presumably 2010 but they didn't mention that).
Post #926616
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse