Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

No Google Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:31 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item No Google

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #751666
Posted Monday, July 13, 2009 5:38 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, March 17, 2014 4:53 AM
There's always other search engines. If you are like me, you probably got more done that day without the search leading to other interesting links and before you know it an hour or has passed.

The "cloud" does worry me. If Google can have a cloud burst how about the smaller ones. Security, reliability and sustainability are still major issues with the Cloud.

Charles Proctor - One Man IT Department in Maine with Toby/Jake the IT Attack Cat. SSRS-SSIS-BI @zzubbuzz
Post #751938
Posted Monday, July 13, 2009 5:41 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:12 PM
I imagine a lot of people have been thinking about the feasibility of cloud computing given that even the "has worked fairly well" concept of web hosting has been shaken up in recent weeks.

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/07/06/the-day-after-a-brutal-week-for-uptime/

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/06/29/yes-rackspace-is-down-and-so-are-many-of-your-favorite-sites/
Post #751943
Posted Monday, July 13, 2009 5:45 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 1:58 PM
Its called putting all our eggs in a collective basket resulting in a single point of failure. We designed the internet to avoid single points of failure, that wisdom is lost now.
Post #751947
Posted Monday, July 13, 2009 6:35 AM

Old Hand

Last Login: Monday, May 07, 2012 9:23 AM
Sometimes its very easy to be totally stupid and not realize it. It just becomes "normal" and then it becomes "accepted practice". Here's a simple example...

Anyone who pays for cable TV is getting what? Likely a bunch of channels they will never watch, and endless commercials selling you stuff you don't want and likely do not need. So think about that...

You are paying someone to come into your home to sell you useless stuff you don't want and don't need, while at the same time, you are getting maybe even hundreds of channels you are paying for, but never watching. Smart? I would call that seriously stupid. But its become 'accepted' and so we all march in the same lock-step towards the nirvana of pure stupidity and who gets rich? A handful of people laughing all the way to the bank. Laughing because we are all stupid enough to accept this arrangement.

So what is going to happen if cloud computing becomes the norm? My guess is, the same thing. You will be paying for stuff you don't want, you don't use, and you don't need, and when Google (or any site) goes down or fails to deliver, what is your recourse? Forget it. You wont have one. You will be billed for every failure they make, and likely we will see database surcharges, and billing for software and servers we don't actually use.

Yes, the cloud concept IS a great use of technology, but then, you can weld a jet engine to your Toyota, call it a great use of technology - but that doesn't make your Toyota a 747.

Sometimes, just because you can do something technologically, even something that looks smart, doesn't mean you should do it. Why? Because these days, people want to make money and lots of it - and cloud computing seems to me to be the next 'snake oil' sales game coming down the road. Great technology concept, yes, but in the end just another way to bill you for stuff you dont want, dont use and dont need.

There's no such thing as dumb questions, only poorly thought-out answers...
Post #751980
Posted Monday, July 13, 2009 6:38 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 12:33 AM
umailedit (7/13/2009)
Its called putting all our eggs in a collective basket resulting in a single point of failure. We designed the internet to avoid single points of failure, that wisdom is lost now.

Can only agree.
Personally I dont see the cloud working for any company which I've ever worked for.
Our internet access is just way to slow and trusting someone outside of the company with the data the maangers just wont go for that.

Cloud : It should rather be called the pie in the sky.
Post #751983
Posted Monday, July 13, 2009 7:00 AM
Old Hand

Last Login: Monday, December 02, 2013 6:30 AM
Clould databases suffer from several shortcomings:

1) Bandwidth
2) Security
3) Availablility

Given all that, you'd be insane to trust your business on line--even if your business doesn't impact tens of thousands of customers (think credit card info if nothing else).

We are not now nor do I believe we will ever be in a position where the cloud is a viable widespread replacement for databases being inhouse.

A cloud-facing ordering system is one thing. A net failure affects only a small portion of your user base. One *company* going down is not normally an issue, there are backups.

But if your email is Gmail and your apps are GoogleApps and Google goes down for a couple of hours, well, you do the math...

Putting your database on the cloud when the cloud can't be trusted (in either a reliability or security sense) is just *dumb*.
Post #751999
Posted Monday, July 13, 2009 7:07 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:00 PM
I have to agree with Chris.Stuart. I don't see any company putting trade secrets, data or code processes considered part of their strategic advantage into the cloud. Do you really want the Google staff to have access to your latest web idea - including the code?

And lets face it, web only tools only work for simple stuff. Like Facebook. AutoCAD via web only - I don't think so. The Google office stuff is not good. Zoho is better if you need web office tools.

As for search, Google is maybe a little better, but they have more mind share than real advantage. I tend to use them all, Google does not always get me what I want.

The more you are prepared, the less you need it.
Post #752006
Posted Monday, July 13, 2009 7:10 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 12:22 PM
When the Cloud ("All hail the Cloud, it is merciful and just. It will envelope all of us in it's calm embrace.") comes, it will be too late! Mwuhahahahahha!!!

But seriously, this can't be good. Why is there even any buzz out there? Is it because businesses can save money? I can conceivably see development and QA servers being hosted in the cloud as there is 1) much less load on them compared to production, and 2) if they go down temporarily, the business still runs. As for production environments, I shudder at the thought.

Gaby
Post #752009
Posted Monday, July 13, 2009 7:22 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:19 AM
One of my least favorite phrases is "It will never happen here". In the 1962 novel, "Fail-Safe", author Eugene Burdick speculated on what would happen if all of the people responsible for our nuclear defense failed to foresee all of the possibilities. They do indeed fail, with New York and Moscow lost as a result. I'd sure like to think that such extreme events are limited to the imaginations of writers who produce 'the Matrix' and 'Terminator', but maybe the occasional loss of enough corporate data to destroy a company isn't too much for the imagination in a world where we trust everything to systems outside of our control? And forget accidental system failures - there appears to be small armies of warped people with too much time on their hands creatng viruses and other mischeif - what if one of them gets lucky on the cloud?

Carefully put things into the cloud? Sure. Make sure you have something to fall back on? Double sure.

Post #752019
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse