Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Flash Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:07 PM
NAND Flash is typically guaranteed to have 1,000,000 erase/write cycles per block. This doesn't mean you can only write to them 1,000,000 times. They are organized to have several pages per block so the wear leveling algorithms try to spread the number of writes to evenly among all of the blocks. Using a SDD for something like tempdb that is very write intensive is about the quickest way to wear one out. Using a SDD for something like an operating system which is typically only read from and not written to often is the best way to avoid any wear issues.

The fact that there is no mechanical head to move around and no spinning platter to wait for greatly improves the seek time over a HDD so fragmentation is not an issue. In fact, defragmenting a SDD should be avoid to conserver the number of erase/write cycles and extend the life of the Flash.

Post #711236
Posted Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:57 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:52 PM
I'm not sure I agree with Gus about next year, but I could be wrong. There's still a substantial premium for drives.

I bought a 1TB drive for US$147 yesterday. A 64GB SSD from Dell is $559 today. I see CDW selling an "Enterprise 64GB drive" for $2k

That's a lot of ground to make up.

However I do think Gus is right that at some point we'll see these used as the primary storage for many servers. I think with slowed refresh cycles (4-5 years instead of 3) and the economy, not to mention the need to evolve, I still think we're talking 8-10 years before it's in lots of SMBs.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #711248
Posted Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:09 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
Steve, we're actually agreeing on all points.

Judging by the price/capacity curve on SSDs over the last 10 years, I think viability for SMBs is probably 2-3 years off as a general replacement for HDDs. I'm saying it could be as early as next year, but that's more a hedge-your-bets kind of statement. After all, December of next year is a year and half off, and that's a full doubling cycling for solid-state circuitry, which means it's in the realm of possibility.

But, even with "available and realistic" in 2-3 years, that means it'll just trickle into systems at that point. It's not a sexy enough technology that it'll get any sort of immediate market percentage. That means real market penetration will pretty much be over the replacement cycle of servers and/or SANs and/or internal HDDs. So, 8-10 years for them to be common enough to matter to DBA careers is pretty real.

I think it might be faster than that, but I wouldn't want to put any real odds on it. I think it'll be at the lower end of those figures (closer to 2 years than 3 for viability and closer to 8 years than 10 for at least semi-ubiquity), but not much tighter than that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #711257
Posted Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:32 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:52 PM
I think we agree, and you've stated it better than I did.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #711281
Posted Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:26 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:41 PM
I came across this a couple months ago.

Samsung SSD Awesomeness

It's pretty cool and I wish I could afford something like it.

Post #711335
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse