Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Imaginative Auditing with Rollback (Undo) and RollForward (Redo) Part II Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 10:42 AM
Very cool! Rated five stars - I particularly like the effort made with the article 's presentation, the structure of the SQL (CTEs and nested FOR XML are a happy combination), and the XML Spy diagram. Excellent stuff!

Paul

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #766073
Posted Thursday, August 6, 2009 5:53 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Today @ 12:05 AM
Thanks, Paul - High praise indeed! When used appropriately XML certainly has it's place in the SQL world. I'm sure you'll agree
Post #766107
Posted Thursday, August 6, 2009 7:13 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 6:12 AM
//EDIT -- Nevermind, apparently if you actually pay attention to the steps everything works just find. Sorry about that.

I can't figure out what I have done wrong with the SSIS package. I am getting this error on the execute XML task:

[XML Task] Error: An error occurred with the following error message: "XSLT compile error.".

Here are my values:

OperationType = XSLT
SourceType = File Connection
Source = transform.xsl

SaveOperationResult = TRUE
DestinationType = Fil Connection
OverwriteDestination = TRUE

SecondOperandType = Variable
SecondOperand = User::XmlAsString

Any clue on what I need to change?

Thanks

Post #766167
Posted Thursday, August 6, 2009 11:20 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 6:12 AM
I did run into one problem with the trigger scripts. Since the quotename function is used the argument is of type sysname which is nvarchar(128). If you have a field longer than this it nulls out the entire field and since the bigAudit table does not allow any null values in any column the trigger fails. I have changed the 1 trigger that I ran into by just including the quotes myself. So for any column that might have data longer than 128 I changed the insert/delete/update sections of the trigger from:
QUOTENAME(i.[Column Name],'''')
to
(''''+i.[Column Name]+'''')

Before making this change I would get this error:

Msg 515, Level 16, State 2, Procedure trgAuditscripts, Line 35
Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'RollForwardSQL', table 'Audit.dbo.BigAudit'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.
The statement has been terminated.

Just wanted to post this in case anyone else was having problems.
Post #766402
Posted Friday, August 7, 2009 12:31 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Today @ 12:05 AM
Good find, Matt!

I completely forgot / overlooked that quotename takes a sysname parameter.

I used it principally to take care of strings which already have a quote in them. Quotename will double them up, if you know what I mean. o'leary will become 'o''leary'. I guess I can just use the replace function, or write a custom quotename function which is less restrictive than the original!

Thanks a lot for sharing your find with us. I hope you have fun with your auditing!

Regards,

David.
Post #766712
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse