Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Lassoing a Cloud Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:55 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Lassoing a Cloud

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #699127
Posted Friday, April 17, 2009 1:49 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, November 17, 2014 6:00 AM
Personally, yes. A cloud database would be very useful in two or three situations here at my work. However, all those are internal, spread across several national subsidiaries on a private network.

I wouldn't want to use cloud database services at the moment across any publicly visible network. Assuming we could get the security issue sorted out, I still feel both national and international privacy regulation is lagging too far behind the needs of IT to be able to cope with a sea change as big as this. There's just too much potential for abuse until the legal framework can catch up a bit.

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
Post #699168
Posted Friday, April 17, 2009 2:33 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:00 AM
Call me sceptical, but is this a case of the Emperor's New Cloud?

Call me cynical, but do I hear the distant scurrying of salesmen to their outsourced development departments asking for "cloud" installers?

Call me paranoid, but was it identity thieves themselves that thought this thing up?

Personally, I think cloud computing is the best idea since sub-prime mortgages ....
Post #699185
Posted Friday, April 17, 2009 2:37 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Sunday, May 4, 2014 7:48 PM
I think it is better to put your head under the sand than to have it up in the clouds...
Post #699190
Posted Friday, April 17, 2009 5:32 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, September 8, 2013 5:39 PM
You know, I'm thinking to myself - "Self, big business like Google, Microsoft, Amazon, IBM, et. al. offer a service of some kind in the Cloud. They very much want us to use the Cloud. But do you think they run any LOB apps in the Cloud? You know, like accounting, sales, CRM, and payroll. Do you think they run a data warehouse in the Cloud? Do you think they keep any of their intellectual property in the Cloud? You know, like would Microsoft have a global version of TFS will ALL of their source sitting out there in the Cloud? Do you think Steve Ballmer keeps a copy of Microsoft's business strategy on Skydrive??" Self is doubtful. At least not in the public Cloud - which is where 99% of us will be stuck in the real world. Like anyone without a billion bucks will have their own Cloud.

I will happliy use Google Maps and Skydrive and Facebook and all the other inane Cloud applications. But I'm thinking until the 800lb industry gorillas start eating (and gagging) on their own Cloud "dog food", I will be perfectly content to keep all the really important stuff in my protected silo, far away from the Cloud.

James Stover, McDBA
Post #699292
Posted Friday, April 17, 2009 6:11 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, May 7, 2012 9:23 AM
At this point I am not interested in any cloud databases and years of experience has taught me when a collective of techies are all excited about something that has not been fully explored with a neutral viewpoint, run as fast as you can away from it.

In the last week, reading the various blogs and posts about cloud databases/cloud computing quickly reveals that these posts are all coming from the "high on the idea" techie side. There are brief mentions of "oh, well, we will have to deal with some security issues..." but no one seems to be diving deep into the weaknesses, pitfalls, or negatives of this concept. And as we know, anything looks good if you ignore the negatives...

There have been plenty of bad ideas in computing that looked wonderful at the outset - the problem being in this industry is that these ideas get launched and only then do the downsides get discovered. The cloud idea sounds great on the surface, but that is the problem - no one is talking about what is beyond the surface.

Until there is more extensive research into that, I am not giving any serious thought to it.

There's no such thing as dumb questions, only poorly thought-out answers...
Post #699313
Posted Friday, April 17, 2009 6:25 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:42 PM
I would be interested in using the external cloud for some of my personal stuff, but not for a business application at this time. Between security issues and potential bandwidth issues, I'm not sure I'd get what I want out if it.

I am interested in an internal cloud as is mentioned in Thursday's editorial, Dreaming of Clouds. Although I wonder how upgrades, etc... would work on this type of system.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #699321
Posted Friday, April 17, 2009 6:28 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 2:10 PM
majorbloodnock (4/17/2009)

I wouldn't want to use cloud database services at the moment across any publicly visible network.

I think that about sums it up for now. Internal clouds, sure. Public clouds are a different story. The cloud as Microsoft is picturing it has amazing potential. It seems like a person savy in both cloud concepts and business principles could create an incredible business with minimal up front costs and easy scalability as the business grows.

On the other hand, there's that nagging problem of hackers. I once had a hamster. I came home one day and found the hamster systematically gnawing on every bar in its little cage. It looked cute but silly. I few days later, the hamster escaped. I still don't know how. When your lifetime, all-consuming job is to escape a cage, even a hamster can figure out how to do it. There are people out there who seem to feel that their life calling is to hack networks whether for profit or just mischeif. It will take just one situation where someone builds a really big business in the cloud and the business gets destroyed by a hacker to add a dose of harsh reality to this concept very quickly.

Post #699324
Posted Friday, April 17, 2009 7:02 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:55 PM
I'm sure it will get dog fooded at some point. Microsoft does a good job pushing their apps internally to staff to test early. If they get a cloud version of SQL Server, I would bet they'll be running internal clouds.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Post #699369
Posted Friday, April 17, 2009 7:03 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, September 19, 2011 11:02 AM
I am more interested in the Internal Cloud that was mentioned in one of the previous articles.

After reading through this weeks articles, one concern that I did not hear surface was licensing, bandwidth and connectivity issues when it comes to pulling the data back in to use with third party software. This is currently a problem even when using linked servers.
Post #699373
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse