Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««2324252627

The T-SQL Paradigm Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 8:13 AM
I agree.

It was just about tolerable the first time, but not twice.

The first time I let it go because it made me remember the word portmanteau

I think I am right in saying that forum pages are indexed by the likes of GoogleTM - so your choice of word may end up being seen by audiences you did not anticipate.

Paul

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #701177
Posted Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:20 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 6:02 PM
wldhrs (4/20/2009)

the term is grist to the mill

please stop being a ****

i've -really- enjoyed this thread apart from your intrusions

Hi,

Are you a messenger? If I'm wrong and you are more than that, well it came from my charitable side In either case you could have picked a less deceitful way to get a receipt out of me.

best,
steve
Post #701224
Posted Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:58 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 6:02 PM
Lynn Pettis (4/20/2009)
Mr Dassin,

You really have missed the point.

I get your point. I'll see what I can do.

best,
steve
Post #701241
Posted Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:33 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 8:39 AM
This as gotten a little crazy here. I am closing this thread.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #701512
Posted Friday, November 1, 2013 11:53 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 8:39 AM
I've reopened this thread as it is being re-run.

Please keep the discussion civil.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1510741
Posted Friday, November 1, 2013 2:30 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 8:37 AM
I occasionally read posts where someone critiques T-SQL's "limitations" on the basis that: it doesn't support input dialogs, doesn't support ORM, or why doesn't it have better syntax for processing cursors, or why can't we pass parameters to a view, ad nauseum.
You guys need to first learn the basics of SQL and T-SQL. I'd suggest you first read a book by Joe Celko on ANSI SQL programming, and then read one of Itzik Ben-Gan's T-SQL programming books from cover to cover. Also, check out Erland Sommarskog's excellent blog where he provides design patterns or explanations for some of these commonly asked T-SQL questions.
http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Celko/e/B000ARBFVQ
http://www.amazon.com/Itzik-Ben-Gan/e/B001IGQENW
http://www.sommarskog.se/
Post #1510811
Posted Monday, November 11, 2013 2:29 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:07 AM
One of the most prominent "errors" I see my fellow (and former) programmers do to our TSQL code base is: They don't care for - or don't understand - set-based thinking. They tried and tries to write TSQL queries like "one-thing-at-a-time" or "loop through a number of items" or "centralize basic calculations by extensive use of user-defined-functions written in C#" - like if SQL Server was a Java or C engine.

This results in bad performance and hard-to-maintain code. And then they argue that TSQL is a bad language. It's not. It's just important for the programmer to learn what it's good at and what it's not good at, and then pick the right tool for the job at hand. To quote a fellow on the net, I once saw: You can do a lot more with TSQL than it is wise to do!
Post #1513043
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««2324252627

Permissions Expand / Collapse