Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

SQL Server Knockoffs? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:58 AM
While everyone & every entity is cost conscious, the Enterprise level users place far greater value on consistency. To a corporation running SQL Server Farms with terabyte sixed data are more concerned with ensuring a consistent product that will work in the way they are used to or better then in saving even as much as %50 at the cost of getting even as much as %80 of the same feature set.

Microsoft may become less dominant in the nonbusiness to small business user market, so long as they continue to provide consistency in products & support, they'll have these Enterprise clients even if the sales go from every 4-6 years to every 6- 8 years or longer.

For companies on the Enterprise scale it's far more cost effective to stick with what you got even if it has bugs (so long as the bugs are known and some kind of work-a-round exists) then to switch over to another product. I use to work at a software company that was the leader in a vertical market and while the bigger clients may even complain the loudest and report the most number of problems, the mere idea of switching to another product often breaks the calculator.

This is why these companies invest so heavily in pre-purchase review & testing of various software products available to their industry. Its also why the sales folks at these companies do everything including selling their soul to get the deal; they know that once the product is rolled out and the clients people are trained it would take an act of God to get management to spend the outrageous amounts it would take to change over to another software app.

If Microsoft is smart they'll separate into 2 groups; the Enterprise Focused and everyone else and let the Enterprise Focused part of the company focus on making software geared specifically to those users instead of trying to make a product that works at all levels for all users. There's just to much competition, especially from free products, for a company like Microsoft to keep a hold of multiple market segments.

I for one hope that WIndows 7 does well but regardless of how it works out I'd like for the SQL Server group to move away from trying to accomidate every type of user to focusing on the non-small business sized customer base.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
Post #677665
Posted Tuesday, March 17, 2009 10:20 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:58 AM
BTW ... I must be the only person on the planet, aside from the actors in the Vista commercials, who has had no problems with Vista and likes it so much that I would pick it over XP any day.

I am a heavy user working in development so it's not like a use Vosta to do word documents and or spreadsheets. Typically I have the worst of luck with stuff but for some odd reason, in the case of Vista I seem to be the only person on the planet, perhaps the galaxy, outside of Redmond who likes Vista.

Go figure.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
Post #677669
Posted Tuesday, March 17, 2009 10:34 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, May 16, 2014 3:35 AM
I agree absolutely that we should not be forced to buy new versions of products because they have a feature we don't need, and I am not just talking about software. Cars seem to be coming out with driver aids galore that I never asked for and don't want to pay for but I have no choice... but that's another topic and don't get me started.

Bottom line is I do agree with you but I don't know what innovation is coming, even the innovators don't know that one... not yet anyway! Take the wheel a small change like a rubber tyre on the outside was a revolution in it's day then they made it hollow and filled it with an air inflated tube, then came the tubeless tyre we use today and there are designs and ideas on the horizon that will revolutionise the wheel on the horizon. We cannot say what revolution will come so I don't think software will ever become static. The automobile and wheel haven't and they have been around a lot longer than software.

There is a machine called marketing which steam rollers all of us into products we never asked for with features we don't want as the consumer we don't really have the ability to say "that's good enough for me". The automobile is proof of that and I think software is the same as any other product. I wish I could stay with the version that does what I need until the revolutionary version comes along but I know that's not going to happen.
Post #677688
Posted Tuesday, March 17, 2009 11:20 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, January 18, 2014 12:44 PM
The sad fact is that Microsoft makes everything an application. SQL Server should be a server not a programming language and Vista should be an operating system not a toy for stitching your pictures. Microsoft will suffer unless they stop treating real work like games.
Gary
Post #677721
Posted Tuesday, March 17, 2009 11:23 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
YSLGuru (3/17/2009)
BTW ... I must be the only person on the planet, aside from the actors in the Vista commercials, who has had no problems with Vista and likes it so much that I would pick it over XP any day.

I am a heavy user working in development so it's not like a use Vosta to do word documents and or spreadsheets. Typically I have the worst of luck with stuff but for some odd reason, in the case of Vista I seem to be the only person on the planet, perhaps the galaxy, outside of Redmond who likes Vista.

Go figure.

There are at least two of us.

I prefer Vista for a number of reasons. I've gone over them before on these forums.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #677726
Posted Tuesday, March 17, 2009 11:28 AM

SSCoach

gary (3/17/2009)
The sad fact is that Microsoft makes everything an application. SQL Server should be a server not a programming language and Vista should be an operating system not a toy for stitching your pictures. Microsoft will suffer unless they stop treating real work like games.
Gary

SQL Server is a server (well, really it's a piece of software for a server, but I got what you meant). T-SQL is a language for getting that server to do things. You need both to get anything done.

Every OS that does anything other than host applications goes into the realm of "stitching pictures together", but I agree that Windows should have a business version that really just supports business stuff. XP Pro, Vista Business, etc., all have way too much piled on top of them for what they are meant to do.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #677727
Posted Tuesday, March 17, 2009 11:36 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Today @ 10:11 AM
The Express version is designed by Microsoft to fill this hole, where a solid RDBMS engine is required but not all the extra features. I guess encouraging the use of Express also provides a certain amount of vendor-lock-in too.

The problem is that Express has a limit on the size of the database. Occasionally you have a need for a decent data store without all the overhead and costs of an enterprise solution. That's where OSS RDBMS like Postgres and its ilk find their niche.
Post #677734
Posted Tuesday, March 17, 2009 11:40 AM

SSCoach

chrisn (3/17/2009)
The Express version is designed by Microsoft to fill this hole, where a solid RDBMS engine is required but not all the extra features. I guess encouraging the use of Express also provides a certain amount of vendor-lock-in too.

The problem is that Express has a limit on the size of the database. Occasionally you have a need for a decent data store without all the overhead and costs of an enterprise solution. That's where OSS RDBMS like Postgres and its ilk find their niche.

Or where you start federating tables across multiple databases...

Property of The Thread

Post #677744
Posted Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:11 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, August 10, 2012 6:08 PM
You know, this article sounds a lot like the cell phone discussion.

Many thought that a portable phone was "superfluous" and over-the-top. That was before the next wave of technology turned them into portable PCs, video cameras, personal (and even not-so-personal) music players, GPS, 411, and etcetera.

One may not yet find a use for some certain new features. But therein lies much of the forward thinking of Microsoft. Most vendors build from absolute front end visibility needs, and come lacking when it comes to functionality, durability, and flexability. Microsoft on the other hand comes at it from the platform up, allowing connections to be made under the hood that others merely wink at. Maybe the value of some certain connections won't be realized until later, but the flexibility of the platform in the end stays in the game the longest.

Microsoft from the beginning focused on sharing information, vice blocking all others out. Yes, they did go through a security transition, but the flexibility of their platforms kept them solvent.

Give me bigger, better, faster, and more flexible, every time. Until another competitor enters the market that even comes close to the toolsets and the ease of connectability, I will choose MS product almost every time. This is not a one sided view; I have as much experience with open source and many other competitors as I do with MS wares, as I have had to work in co-mingled environments for most of my career.

Far too many employers see only initial cost, and not long term goals vs. TCO. Far too many well meaning IT folks do not know the difference(s) between platforms, having worked with only one or two.
Post #677773
Posted Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:13 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, August 10, 2012 6:08 PM
YSLGuru (3/17/2009)

You are not alone.
Post #677776
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse