Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Report Templates Using Stylesheets Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, April 03, 2014 6:47 AM
Good one Barry, this alternative avoids multiple calls to the database. I use something like this when returning metadata to dynamically generated tooltips for instance - and it saves passing data to parameters and using them as well.

Adam :)

Post #674161
Posted Thursday, March 12, 2009 7:05 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, March 28, 2014 5:30 AM
I just wanted to thank you for the ideas, as a fellow report writer I've run into many of the refactoring nightmares you're talking about which keep you from creating the next report that will knock your customers dead. Appreciate the ideas and techniques shared, thanks!
Post #674178
Posted Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:57 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:03 AM
I may be posting this question in the wrong place, but I can't seem to find any information on changing the way the information is displayed in a report. I know, I'm not making it clear yet... Right now all of my headers are horizontal and the data in vertical columns. I want to reverse that. Have a veritcal column of headers and the corresponding data being vertical.

I've done several Internet searches, but I can't find the answer I'm looking for. Can anyone help point me in the right direction please?

Thanks from a newbie to SRSS!
Post #684662
Posted Friday, March 27, 2009 12:57 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 3:28 AM
You mean the text in your column header to read vertically oriented rather than horizontally? or actually transposing (or rotating 90degrees) the whole table?

M

SQL Novice - Here to learn.
Post #684804
Posted Monday, September 14, 2009 1:55 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, March 31, 2014 9:00 AM
This is an amazing article. We are standardizing our reports to a familiar format. But I have a question about the database entries. I am looking at somehow to control the font and size in the body of the report. But I cannot see any property to set this globally. Any suggestions on what the expression would be and the insert statements for the database table?

Let me be a little more specific. What would the expression be for setting the Font globally for the body of the report? I don't see any property where this is set.

Thanks again for your help..
Post #787736
Posted Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:45 AM
Grasshopper

As far as I know font is set per element.

If you know you are only going to use one font (as we do) then store it in a field named something like 'GlobalFont' and apply GlobalFont to each element it is required upon. I'd suggest FontSize will be different for different types of elemnt on your report, e.g. 'TableHeaderFontSize' 10, 'ReportHeaderTitleFontSize' 16. You have to make a decision as to what is useful to be databased and that will be elements that are regularly the same between your reports. I have found that storing about 20-30 properties + 20-30 other metadata items gives me an optimal advantage.

M

Post #787931
Posted Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:27 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:03 AM
Sorry about the LOOOONNNG delay in replying to your question. I was pulled off to another project and just now am getting back to this one.

Maybe this will help. Most reports are like:
HEADER HEADER HEADER
Result Result Result

I want my report to come out looking like
HEADER Result
HEADER Result
HEADER Result

Does that make more sense?
Post #788087
Posted Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:50 AM
Grasshopper

Yes - i understand now.

If you wish to display your data in a table, then transpose your results (within your SQL Stored Procedure/Query) and send through the required 'header' as the first record for each row.
e.g.

Field1 Field2 Field3 Field4
HEADER DATA1 DATA2 DATA3

Make sense?

Its also possible you could use a matrix to good effect, although I tend to find their display flexibility reduces their display capability when it comes to formatting.

M

Post #788101
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse