Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Report Templates Using Stylesheets Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:04 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Report Templates Using Stylesheets
Post #673962
Posted Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:54 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:27 AM
Great article/series.

One small point - you state that you cannot use databased images in headers and footers... I'd like to point out that you can. :) You need to store them in the report body first (for example within a hidden textbox, using the functions convertFromBase64 and convertToBase64) then reference them from the header/footer.

SQL Novice - Here to learn.
Post #673981
Posted Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:18 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:04 AM
Good tip - thankk you!
Post #674024
Posted Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:20 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:13 AM
A database call for every styled element?.... I like the idea of a stylesheet (come on Microsoft, CSS ??!) but maybe a DS that returns the all the styles for the report and use that instead?
Post #674025
Posted Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:50 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:19 AM
Another great article, one point though, as far as I am aware, these self-built templates are only an option if you are using BIDS, not if you use the full Visual Studio. If anyone can prove me wrong here, I will be glad to hear of it! :)
Post #674039
Posted Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:06 AM
Grasshopper

When it comes to templates it doesnt really matter too much anyway.

You can just copy and paste your 'template' into your newly created project file and add it from there using the 'right-click' on Reports and 'Add existing Item' method. Placing a template into BIDS as a 'click-on' item is just a nicety.

M

Post #674041
Posted Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:25 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Hmm, I see what you're saying, but then there is no way of going through the wizard using the template, so you will need to add groups etc manually, not the end of the world, but not wildly convenient either...
Post #674049
Posted Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:57 AM
Grasshopper

For me, the wizard was great to begin with when I didn't have a good handle on how to set properties etc manually, but after using BIDS for 18 months or so I find the wizard to be restrictive, and that it is quicker for me to do things manually. Perhaps it is a factor of personal preference as well.

Post #674069
Posted Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:12 AM
Valued Member

No, the wizard isn't great, but it is handy for setting up grouping, as it populates both the group expression and the sort, which I always forget otherwise... Probably 90% of my reports are variants of something that I have already written, so the copy and tweak method isn't so much of a departure from normal workflow. The inconsistencies between BIDS and VS do seem a bit silly though. I have to author some reports in BIDS on the server as I commonly use SSIS as a data source, would be nice to work on everything in the same way.
Post #674077
Posted Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:22 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:13 AM
An alternative way to style your reports...

http://sqldev.wordpress.com/2009/03/12/dynamic-report-styling/

Post #674151
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse